Advanced Manufacturing and Materials Lab (AMML)
A Laser Deposition – Additive Manufacturing Machine
A laser deposition – additive manufacturing machine (laser engineered net shaping LENS 450) has been equipped in room 108A. With this machine, the following research activities have been conducted:
- Laser deposition of metal, ceramic, and composite materials;
- Fabrication of 3D networking microstructure;
- Deposition of Nanocomposites (Supported by DoD);
- Fabrications of Ti-Ag biomedical implants;
- Ultrasonic vibration-assisted laser deposition;
- Remanufacturing of high-value materials.
A Rotary Ultrasonic Machine
A rotary ultrasonic machine is located in room 108A. With this machine, the following research activities have been conducted:
- Rotary ultrasonic machining (hole making) of composites;
- Rotary ultrasonic surface machining of hard and brittle materials;
- Post-processing of high-performance parts made by laser additive manufacturing processes;
- Single abrasive scratch testing to identify materials removal mechanisms.
A Nano-mechanical Testing Machine
A nano-mechanical testing machine has been equipped in room 111A. With this machine, the following research activities have been conducted:
- Load-bearing testing;
- Friction and wear testing;
- Adhesion performance testing;
- Indentation testing;
- Lubrication testing;
- Atomic force microscope imaging.
Two Universal Testers
Two universal testers are located in room 108A. With these testers, the following research activities have been conducted:
- Tensile testing;
- Compressive testing;
- Bending testing.