Codes of Ethics
The Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions (CSEP) has put their collection of over 850 codes of ethics on the Internet. They include codes of ethics of professional societies, corporations, government, and academic institutions. Earlier versions of codes of ethics of some organizations represented are available so people can study the development of codes. A literature review, an introduction to the codes, and a user guide are included. The production of this site was accomplished in collaboration with IIT's Instructional Multimedia Center.
This page includes various ethical codes from professional societies for engineers and scientists. Some differ widely in their content, because of their origins and their specific purposes. Others are similar in the topics they cover and the general ethical standards they articulate, but differ in language and in the specific ethical problems or abuses they address.
Selected Codes of Ethics for Engineers
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Safety Engineers' (ASSE) Code of Professional Conduct
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Software Engineering Code of Ethics and Professional Practice
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)