[Minor revision-posted 6/6/18 (replaces 11/6/06 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 30.08: Honorary Degrees
DATE: June 6, 2018
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to ensure understanding and a standardized approach regarding honorary degrees.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in May of even-numbered years by the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs with substantive revisions presented to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs by June 30.
The following policy on honorary degrees has been adopted by the Board of Regents (see Section 12.04, Regents' Rules for detailed procedures).
1. Honorary degrees conferred by Texas Tech University must be recommended by the President to the Chancellor and authorized by the Board of Regents.
2. Honorary degrees may be conferred for public service, scholarship, or other contributions in the public interest.
3. Nominations for honorary degrees may be made by faculty, staff, or members of the Board of Regents.
4. No person actively associated with the TTU system at the time of the award will be considered for an honorary degree.
5. Honorary degrees will be awarded only at commencement exercises.
6. Nominations will be evaluated by an advisory committee appointed by the President, with administrative, faculty, and student representation, and recommendations will be made to the President.
7. The Chancellor will inform the board of nominations at least one month prior to the board meeting when candidates are scheduled to be considered for approval.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking