E-mail Address - The fully qualified SMTP address to which e-mail messages are sent
TechMail Address - An e-mail address in the TTU.EDU domain (e.g., John.Doe@ttu.edu)
E-mail Mailbox - A storage area on a computing system capable of receiving Internet e-mail
TechMail Mailbox - An e-mail mailbox existing on one of the TechMail server systems
Personal TechMail Address - A TechMail address that is used by a specific individual as a personal e-mail address; mail is delivered to a mailbox owned (used exclusively) by that individual
Functional TechMail Address - A TechMail address that is used to represent an organization, position, or business function
Display Name - A display name is a friendly name that most e-mail clients show alongside the e-mail address in messages, as well as in address books
Personal TechMail Address
Number of Personal TechMail Addresses
Each qualified individual (see Ownership) will be allowed one personal TechMail address delivered to their personal mailbox.
Faculty and staff will be able to request that existing TechMail addresses become exempted, secondary personal TechMail addresses under the following conditions:
- The reason for the exemption request is due to a legal name change.
- An exemption is requested by the TTPD for reasons of personal safety.
All personal TechMail addresses will be required to conform to the Personal Naming Guideline below.
Personal Naming Guidelines
Based on the Department of Information Resources Standards Review and Recommendations
- GivenName.Surname@TTU.EDU; or
- Maximum of 30 characters
- Allowed characters are alphabetic upper and lower case characters without spaces
- Periods or hyphens may be used to join multipart names in the form that the person prefers to be addressed
- Typically, the "First Name" supplied in Personnel or Student Records
- Can be "Middle Name" supplied in Personnel or Student Records
- Provision for a "Nickname" will be made (i.e. Bill instead of William)
- In names supplied with Personnel or Student Records, hyphens will be preserved; spaces will be replaced with hyphens, and all other non-alphabetic characters deleted
- Maximum of 3 characters
- Allowed characters are alphabetic upper case without spaces, hyphens, or periods
- Use the minimum number of initials that uniquely identify the person
- Where the combination of surname and given name is unique then no initials need be specified. If this field is used, it is normal to specify only the initials of middle name(s).
- Maximum of 30 characters
- Allowed characters are alphabetic upper and lower case characters without spaces (NB Space is not allowed as it would prohibit mail reaching these users, or being sent by these users, to or from non X.400 compliant mail systems e.g., Internet)
- Hyphens may be used to join multipart names
- The leading character of the first part of a hyphenated surname may be in upper case
- The leading character of other parts may be in upper or lower case at the user's discretion
- In names supplied with Personnel or Student Records, hyphens will be preserved; spaces will be replaced with periods, and all other non-alphabetic characters deleted
- An application - the eRaider Account Manager - has been provided for each student and employee to maintain Online Directory Information and obtain other services. In the example below, a nickname has been provided by the requestor prior to selecting from a list of possible TechMail addresses.
- Items in the list which conflict with previously assigned TechMail addresses would either not appear, or be visually indicated (i.e. grayed out, asterisk, etc.)
|Example Name: William "Bill" David Doe|
|Format||TechMail Address||Directory Listing|
|Doe, William D
Smith, Catherine A
|Doe, Bill D
Smith, Cathy A
Messages sent to personal TechMail addresses will be delivered to the appropriate TechMail mailbox. The delivery location for every TechMail address must be unique.
TTU & TTUHSC faculty, staff, students, & retirees whose biographical records are supplied from Personnel Records, Student Records, or other approved sources.
After the owner's biographical record ceases to be supplied from above sources the eRaider Account Manager will automatically disable access to TechMail. Individual's should make plans to transfer their e-mail to another location prior to graduation or last day of employment.
End-user TechMail address requests and modifications are possible via an online application, the eRaider Account Manager at http://eraider.ttu.edu. Telecommunications will also manage TechMail address information directly. Authentication for online applications will require an eRaider account.
Functional TechMail Addresses
Functional Name Guidelines
- Maximum of 64 characters
- Allowed characters are alphabetic upper and lower case characters and numeric characters without whitespace – space, tab, NB space
- Periods or hyphens may be used to join multipart names
- All functional TechMail addresses must begin with an alphabetic character
- Name should clearly represent a TTU organization, departmental function, or position
Functional TechMail addresses will be delivered to systems within the TTU.EDU domain only.
The display name and associated e-mail address must be very similar, and must clearly identify the organization, department, function or position.
Functional TechMail addresses will be owned by TTU employees whose biographical records are supplied from Personnel Records. The owner of record will be the individual who owns the mailbox to which the TechMail address delivers messages.
30 days after the associated mailbox stops accepting mail messages. Notification of the associated NSC will be attempted but cannot be guaranteed.
Departmental administration by Network Site Coordinators at https://www.net.ttu.edu/netforms/nsc/mailboxrequest.aspx via a functional mailbox request form.
AddressTexas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409