[Minor revision–posted 1/19/23 (replaces 10/18/21 edition)]
Operating Policy and Procedure
OP 60.15: Smoke-Free and Tobacco-Free Environment
DATE: January 19, 2023
PURPOSE: The purpose of this Operating Policy/Procedure (OP) is to provide for the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff by controlling fire hazards, assuring a smoke-free and tobacco-free environment in all academic and administrative facilities, and meeting the requirements of Title 25 Texas Administrative Code, § 703.20.
REVIEW: This OP will be reviewed in September of even-numbered years by the Assistant Vice President for Environmental Health & Safety with substantive revisions forwarded through the Associate Vice President for Research (Research Integrity) and the Assistant Vice President for Research (Research Services) to the Vice President for Research & Innovation.
1. In the interest of providing a smoke-free and tobacco-free environment, all tobacco products, including cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, and smokeless tobacco, are prohibited in all campus academic, administrative, and athletic facilities.
2. Smoking areas must be located 25 feet from all facilities, pedestrian entrances (ingress or egress), or public places. This includes any entryways or walkways leading to entrances.
3. Tobacco products are only allowed in designated areas.
4. In the case of athletics, the prohibition applies to both indoor and outdoor facilities. Smoking is allowed in designated areas only.
5. All buildings that are under the control of University Student Housing and Hospitality Services are nonsmoking buildings, including the Student Union, all dining areas, and all areas of residence halls, including individual rooms.
6. The use of all tobacco products is prohibited by all employees and visitors in all buildings and structures, as well as the sidewalks, parking lots, walkways, and attached parking structures immediately adjacent where projects requiring Title 25 TAC 703.20 or the Tobacco-Free Workplace Policy are taking place. Sponsors requiring Title 25 TAC 703.20 include the Cancer Prevention Institute of Texas (CPRIT) and the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS). A list of CPRIT projects and the facilities in which they are being conducted can be found on the website of the Office of Research & Innovation.
7. Employees interested in tobacco use cessation services should contact the Office of Human Resources for information and referral.
8. Persons having reason to complain about violations of this policy should first seek resolution of the problem by asking the smoker(s) to comply voluntarily with this OP. If resolution of the problem cannot be achieved by this means, a complaint should be made to the head of the unit or office of the shop manager. If the head of the unit is part of the smoking activity, the complaint should be made to the next level supervisor. Heads of units are advised that such complaints can be made without risk to student or employee evaluation.
9. When continued and/or obvious abuse of the policy is evident, appropriate actions will be taken by the following individuals to assure compliance.
a. Student Life will be responsible for cases involving students.
b. The college dean will be responsible for cases involving faculty.
c. The appropriate vice president will be responsible for handling cases involving non-faculty employees.
d. The Chief of Police will be responsible for handling cases involving individuals who are not students, faculty, or staff of the university.
10. Electronic cigarettes will not be permitted other than in the areas already mentioned in this OP.
04 Audit Services
30 Academic and Student Affairs – General
32 Academic Policies – Faculty
34 Academic Policies – Students
36 Academic Programs
40 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
48 Communication Services
52 Information Technology
60 Environmental Health and Safety
61 Facilities Management
62 Financial and Accounting
63 General Services
64 Graduate Programs (Faculty and Students)
65 Research Accounting
67 Mail Services
68 Communications and Marketing
69 Payroll and Tax Services
70 Human Resources
72 Purchasing, Contracting, and Payables
77 Student Services and Registrar
78 Traffic and Parking
Operating Policies & Procedures
AddressTexas Tech Downtown Center Room 218