Join Our Team
Dear Perspective Applicant,
Thank you for interest in becoming a Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leader! We are always looking for students who have a passion for helping other students, and enjoy explaining material in an innovative way. For more information about SI, please click here. Additionally, this webpage has information about the SI Leader application process, frequently asked questions, and all of the forms needed to apply.
We accept applications on a rolling basis. Each semester we have numerous openings in math, chemistry, and other sciences. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications even though openings might not be available at this time, but could be in future semesters. There is no official deadline for our applications, however we like to have all of our SI Leader placed before the semester begins.
If you have any additional questions, then do not hesitate to contact me either via e-mail at email@example.com, or 806-834-1476.
Supplemental Instruction Assistant Director
SI Leader applications, student assistant applications, and recommendations will be only accepted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please e-mail Will Lopez to discuss any open SI Leader or student assistant positions.
SI Leader Information Sessions for Spring 2022 Positions
There will not be any additional SI Leader information sessions for Spring 2022 SI Leader positions. The next SI Leader information session will occur in the Spring 2022 semester for fall 2022 SI Leader positions.
Contact Will Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information about SI Leader or student assistant positions.
Spring 2022 Positions Available:
A full list of open positions for the Spring 2022 semester will be available during the first week in November. To be considered for the SI Leader position, candidates must submit the SI Leader application and one recommendation.
PHYS 1408 - Principles of Physics I
Listed updated December 23, 2021. For interest in positions in future semesters or other courses not listed, please contact Will Lopez at email@example.com.
- Current undergraduate student at Texas Tech University
- 3.00 cumulative GPA from Texas Tech
- Must have completed at least one semester at Texas Tech
- Grade of "A" for desired course assignment received from Texas Tech
- Must be able to communicate and work in a collaborative environment
- Attend all lectures for the SI course. SI Leaders will have the opportunity to choose the section that best fits with their schedule.
- Hold two 90 minute weekly review sessions on campus during the afternoon, and evenings. SI Leaders will have the opportunity to choose when their SI Session days and times are.
- Send weekly e-mails to students in the SI course.
- Meet monthly with faculty partners to discuss SI sessions.
- Attend training at the beginning of the semester (2 days of paid training for new SI Leaders, 1 day of paid training for returners)
- Attend at least two paid professional development opportunity during the semester.
- Complete one or two hours of weekly prep time in the SI office. New SI Leaders are required to complete two hours of prep time in the office, while returning SI Leaders are required to complete one hour of prep time in the office.
- Enhance communication and public speaking skills
- Partner and collaborate with TTU faculty and SI Leaders
- Deepen knowledge of the subject matter for graduate school, medical school, or workplace experience
- Improve time management skills
- Develop facilitation skills
- Have a dedicated space to study and work
- Professional development opportunities each month to grow as a person, student, and professional
What is the SI Leader Application Process?
All applicants must submit a completed application and one recommendation. Please note preference is given to candidates recommended by Texas Tech faculty members. After these documents are received the SI office will contact applicants they are interested in interviewing.
What is a mock SI Session?
A mock SI session is a part of the interview process after an applicant has submitted all of the required documents. The three to five minute presentation will be on a topic of the applicants choice in the course they would like to SI for. We would also ask that the applicant prepares a one to two page handout on the topic that they will present on.
What qualities, attributes, or skills are you seeking in candidates?
SI is looking for candidates that meet our core values, can communicate in a global society, and are good academic role models. The core values for SI, as voted on by our SI Leaders are approachability, collaboration, empowering, encouraging, and engaging.
What are the documents needed to complete the application?
The documents needed to complete the application are the completed application form, and one recommendation. Preference is given to candidates that are recommended by TTU faculty. The recommendation can either be the SI recommendation form, or a letter of recommendation.
Is there a deadline for applications?
There is not a deadline for the SI Leader applications. However, all SI Leaders are placed before the school year begins, and must attend mandatory training before the semester starts.
Can I turn in the application and recommendations at different times?
Yes, the application and recommendation forms can be turned in at different times.
Are SI Leaders allowed to choose the days and times of their sessions?
SI Leaders are allowed to choose the days and times of their sessions. Sessions typically start after 4PM, and end by 9PM. Some SI Leaders also choose to have their sessions on Sunday for reviews, and in some classes on a regular basis. There are no SI Sessions on Friday and Saturdays.
Are SI Leaders allowed to choose the SI class they would to attend?
SI Leaders can choose which SI course they would like to attend, depending on their schedule. In courses with multiple SI Leaders, the SI Staff might make a special requests to attend certain class section(s) based on staff coverage.