Texas Tech University

FSL History

 
 
Image1Image2Football

History of Fraternity & Sorority Life at Texas Tech

GreekResidentsFraternities and sororities at Texas Tech University were first established in 1952. After more than 60 years, the fraternity and sorority community is thriving, currently offering more than 55 organizations and representing roughly 20 percent of the undergraduate student population.

When Texas Tech first explored hosting national fraternity and sorority organizations, the previously established male and female social groups on campus considered carefully the benefits and social connection that a national affiliation would bring to Texas Tech graduates.

Our storied history can be found here. An Informal History of the Greek System at Texas Tech by David Nail

FSL Timeline

1923
On February 10th, Texas Technological College was founded.

1924
On June 27th, the Board of Directors voted not to allow Greek-lettered organizations on campus.

1926
Las Chaparritas was the first women's club on campus and functioned to unite girls of a common interest through association and engaging in social activities. Local social clubs continued to form over the next thirteen years.

1929
The Centaur Club was founded and was the first Men's social club on the campus whose members were all college students.

1930
On March 3rd, The Inter-Club Council was founded, which ultimately divided into the Men's Inter-Club Council and the Women's Inter-Club Council.

1952
On June 21st, the Board of Directors vote to approve the admission of fraternities and sororities on with the local clubs and by the fall, national sororities and fraternities were in contact with Texas Tech.

1953
In the spring, local women's clubs were absorbed by national sororities and men's social club began transforming to fraternities. In September, the first Sorority rush was held (now called recruitment). Two-hundred and fourty rushees (now called potential new members) went through recruitment. Because quota was 28, only 140 rushees received bids from the five chapters.
On September 20th, Men's Inter-Club Council (M.I.C.C) became Interfraternity Council and held its first regular meeting.

1954
In the spring, IFC held their first rush period and took in 253 pledges (approximately 1 in every 5 undergraduate men pledged a fraternity).

1958
In November, a contract between Mrs. Lizzie Turner and the Texas Tech Interfraternity Housing Corporation was signed. The twenty sororities and fraternities then at Tech each contributed $3,750 to buy the Turner Tract for $75,000.

1961
In July, the first African American students were admitted to Texas Tech.

1970
In April, Delta Sigma Theta was chartered making them the first historically African-American sorority on campus and became an associate member of Panhellenic.
In the Summer, the first sorority began to build a lodge on Greek Circle.

A detailed timeline can be found here.

Contact

Fraternity & Sorority Life