At the start of each fall semester, Texas Tech students and employees may purchase a used bicycle from Transportation and Parking Services. The department saves bicycles from abandoned bicycle collections (OP 76.09) that best combine quality and condition.
How It Works
Each bicycle is USED and sold AS IS, costs $40, comes with a brand new U-lock, and is automatically registered to the purchaser's My Parking Account upon checkout.
(Limit one bicycle per year per student or employee per year. Bicycles are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Bicycles may not be returned unless they have a major mechanical issue that requires extensive repairs; flat tires and loose chains are easily repaired and do not qualify as major mechanical issues.)
TPS sells these bicycles in two lots in amounts to be determined once staff members finalize bicycle collections:
- 8 a.m., Monday, August 21, 2017 (first weekday following residence hall move-in)
- 8 a.m., Monday, August 28, 2017 (first day of class for Fall semester)
How to Purchase
- Log into your My Parking Account.
- Click on the Bicycles tab on your dashboard.
- Click the Buy Bicycle button. (If no Buy Bicycle button appears, bicycle sales are not available at that time.)
- When you see the bicycle you would like to buy, complete the steps to purchase. (If you do not see any bicycles, bicycles are either sold out or may be in potential purchasers' carts. Check a few minutes later to see if any are released from carts and again available for purchase.)
- Bring a photo ID and your R number to the Transportation and Parking Services office to pick up your bicycle.
Where to Pick Up
You may pick up your bicycle and U-lock at the Transportation and Parking Services shop and tow yard just south of the Administrative Support Center. The ASC is located on the southeast corner of 4th Street and Flint Avenue at 2903 4th Street. Take the first left into the parking lot, and the shop and tow yard will be ahead and to the right. Bicycle sale pick-ups take place the Monday and Tuesday of each sale (August 21-22 and 28-29) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Don't forget your photo ID!
Please note that as the purchaser, you are responsible for picking up your bicycle and U-lock from the Transportation and Parking Services office. Your bike will be held for pickup for two weeks from your purchase date. If you do not pick up your bike within the two weeks, you will forfeit your $40, and the bicycle will be put back up for sale.