Practicum Placement Requirements
In order to apply for practicum placement at the SCC, a student must have completed a course in counseling techniques (e.g. Departmental Basic Skills Practicum or Techniques in Counseling) and have at least one (two is preferred) semester(s) of actual clinical experience.
Requirements for Practicum:
The minimum time commitment to a practicum at the SCC is currently 12.5 hours a week.
Be aware that choosing to do one of our rotations described under “training rotations” will likely further increase your weekly hours with an additional 1-2 hours. Below are the required activities/meetings involved in practicum placement at the SCC.
- Concurrent enrollment in a practicum course in your department.
- Attendance at an orientation meeting (usually 3-4 hours) prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Nine hours of direct client contact weekly.
- Scheduled individual supervision for 1.5 hours per week.
- Weekly attendance at Practicum Case Seminar, every Thursday 4:00pm to 5:00pm.
- One hour of administrative time for case notes, preparation for therapy, or outreach activities.
- Participate in at least one large-scale outreach activity each semester (1 hour minimum-likely to increase).
*****All Requirements are NON-NEGOTIABLE.*****
Each student must attend all training seminars and supervision meetings weekly, and students must be present at the SCC during all client hours and the administrative hour weekly.