In order to apply for practicum placement at the SCC, a student must have completed a course in counseling techniques (e.g. Departmental Basic Skills Practicum or Techniques in Counseling). If a student applies for a specific rotation (see "Rotations" below), then s/he must have successfully completed relevant coursework for some of the rotations.
Requirements for Practicum
- Concurrent enrollment in a practicum course in your department.
- Weekly attendance at Case Seminar (1 hour) with the timing being arranged to try to accomodate your schedule.
- 5 - 9 hours of direct individual client contact weekly (see practicum training rotations for more information).
- 1 hour/week Walk in Clinic (intakes and crisis intervention)
- 1.5 hours of individual supervision weekly.
- 1 hour of administrative time for case notes and therapy prep.
- Attending an orientation meeting (usually 2-3 hour blocks of time over 2 days) prior to the fall semester. If applying for first time spring semester, you will need to attend an orientation meeting as well which will be arranged with the practicum coordinator.
**NOTE: All Requirements are NON-NEGOTIABLE. Each student must attend all training seminars and supervision meetings weekly, and students must be present at the SCC during all client hours.