Upward Bound (UB) is an academic and college preparatory program federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education. It promotes the academic skills and motivation necessary for students to graduate high school and enter post-secondary education. UB serves high school students from low-income families and potential first-generation high school students from families where neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The program provides math, laboratory science, composition, literature and foreign language instruction. Activities and services include:
- Academic tutoring, advisement and career exploration
- Test prep (SAT, ACT, TSIA2)
- Financial literacy
- College/Career field trips
- Experiential learning activities
- College summer residential & bridge program
- Workshops for student and parents
- Individual assistance with college admissions & financial aid applications
Students may qualify for participation in Upward Bound based on the following criteria:
- Be a potential first-generation college student
- Meet federal income guidelines
- U.S. citizen or legal resident of the U.S.
- Demonstrate a need for academic support
- Attend a target LISD high school
How to Apply
Applications are available by download, online, or from your high school counselor's office. All applications must be completed and returned to the Upward Bound office for consideration.
Additional supporting materials to include:
- Recent copy of nine-week report card or high school transcript
- Recent STAAR/EOC test scores
- Teacher/Counselor recommendation form
All information will be kept confidential and used only to determine eligibility for the Upward Bound program. Please include all required information to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. If you have any questions, please contact us through the sources listed below.
After UB receives your completed application & supporting materials, applicants will be invited for a student & parent interview.
Students will receive notification by email or phone call if accepted into the program.
Our mission is to foster the necessary academic skills and motivation for each participant to successfully graduate from high school and complete a post-secondary education at a college of their choosing.
Upward Bound is dedicated to providing comprehensive college preparatory services to ensure all participants achieve their goal of earning a college degree.
For additional information, please contact:
Diane Sanchez, M.Ed.