Yasuki Sekiguchi, PhD, CSCS
Phone: (806) 834-0633
Kinesiology and Sport Management, Rm 108
Office Hours: Tuesday 12:20pm - 2:00pm; Also by appointment
- Post-Doctoral fellow, 2021 University of Connecticut, Department of Kinesiology, Human Performance Lab2020-2021
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Exercise Science, 2020 University of Connecticut, College of Agriculture, Health, and Natural Resources, Department of Kinesiology, Korey Stringer Institute
- Master of Science (MS) in Exercise Science, 2016 University of Arkansas, College of and Health Professions, Hydration Science Laboratory
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Exercise Science, 2014 Kobe University (Japan), Department of Human Development, Exercise Prescription Laboratory
Research Interests and Athlete Consulting Areas:
- Heat acclimation and heat acclimatization
- Optimizing hydration strategy
- Fluid and electrolyte balance monitoring
- Optimizing cooling strategy
- Training load and recovery status monitoring
- Sleep monitoring
- Validation of wearable technology
- Substrate utilization, aerobic and anaerobic performance testing
Recent Research Publications
- Sekiguchi Y, Benjamin CL, Manning CN, Struder JF, Armstrong LE, Lee EC, Huggins RA, Stearns RL, Distefano LJ, Casa DJ. The Effect of Heat Acclimatization, Heat Acclimation and Intermittent Exercise Heat Training on Time Trial Performance in the Heat (2021). Sports Health.
- Sekiguchi Y, Benjamin CL, Dion SO, Manning CN, Struder JF, Dierickx EE, Morrissey MC, Erica M. Filep EM, Casa DJ. Changes in Hydration Factors Over the Course of Heat Acclimation in Endurance Athletes (2021). International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism.
- Yoshihara A, Dierickx EE, Brewer GJ, Sekiguchi Y, Stearns RL, PhD, Casa DJ. Effects of Facemask Use on Objective and Subjective Measures of Thermoregulation during Exercise in the Heat (2021). Sports Health.
- Benjamin CL, Sekiguchi Y, Morrisey MC, Butler RB, Filep EM, Stearns RL, Casa DJ. The Effects of Hydration Status and Ice Water Dousing on Physiological and Performance Indices During Intermittent Exercise in the Heat (2021). Journal of Science and Medicine in Sports.
- Szymanski MR, Giersch GEW, Morrissey MC, Benjamin CL, Sekiguchi Y, Manning CN, Stearns RL, Casa DJ. Availability of a Flavored Beverage and Impact on Children's Hydration Status, Sleep and Mood (2021). 13 (1757): 1-10.
- Curtis RM, Huggins RA, Benjamin CL, Sekiguchi Y, Lepley LK, Heudo-Medina TB, Casa DJ. Factors Associated with Non-Contact Injury in Collegiate Soccer: A 12-team Prospective Study of NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Soccer (2021). American Journal of Sports Medicine.
- BenjaminCL, Sekiguchi Y, StruderJF, SzymanskiMR, Manning CN, GrundsteinAJ, LeeEC, HugginsRA, Armstrong LE, Casa Heat Acclimation Following Heat Acclimatization Elicits Additional Physiological Improvements in Male Endurance Athletes (2021). Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 18 (4366): 1-12.
- Sekiguchi Y. Curtis RM, Huggins RA, Benjamin CL, Walker AJ, Arent SM, Adams WM, Aderson T, Casa DJ. The Relationships between Perceived Wellness, Sleep, and Acute:Chronic Training Load in NCAA Division I Male Soccer Players (2021). Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Armstrong LE, Giersch GEW, Colburn AT, Lopez V, Sekiguchi Y, Munoz CX, Lee EC. Thirst-relevant perceptual complexes during euhydration, mild dehydration, and drinking (2021). Physiology & Behavior.
- Sekiguchi Y, Benjamin CL, Giersch GEW, Belval LN, Stearns RL, Casa DJ. Practical Implementation Strategies for Heat Acclimatization and Acclimation Programming to Optimize Performance (2021). Athletic training and sports health care.
- Huggins RA, Giersch, GEW, Belval LN, Benjamin CL, Curtis RM, Sekiguchi Y, Peltonen J, Casa DJ. The Validity and Reliability of GPS Units for Measuring Distance and Velocity During Linear and Team Sport Simulated Movements (2020). Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Benjamin CL, Curtis RM, Huggins RA, Sekiguchi Y, Jain RK, McFadden BA, Casa DJ. Sleep Dysfunction and Mood in Collegiate Soccer Athletes (2020). Sports Health.
- Sekiguchi Y, Filep EM, Benjamin CL, Casa DJ, DiStefano LJ. Does Dehydration Affect the Adaptations of Plasma Volume, Heart Rate, Internal Body Temperature, and Sweat Rate During the Induction Phase of Heat Acclimation (2020). Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 29 (6): 847-850.
- Curtis RM, Huggins RA, Benjamin CL, Sekiguchi Y, Adams WM, Arent SM, Jain RK, Miller JS, Walker AJ, Casa DJ. Contextual Factors Influencing External and Internal Training Loads in Collegiate Men's Soccer (2020). Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 34(2): 374-381.
- Benjamin CL, Sekiguchi Y, Fry LA, Casa, DJ. Performance Changes Following Heat Acclimation: Analysis of a Variety of Performance Test and Factors that Influence Performance-Meta Analysis and Meta Regression (2019). Frontiers in Physiology. 27(10):1448:1-17.
- Benjamin CL, Adams WM, Curtis RM, Sekiguchi Y, Giersch GEW, Casa DJ. Early Morning training impacts previous night's sleep in NCAA Division I cross country runners (2019). Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal.
- Curtis RM, Huggins RA, Benjamin CL, Sekiguchi Y, Arent SM, Armwald, BC, Pullara JM, West CA, Casa DJ. Seasonal Accumulated Workloads in Collegiate Men's Soccer: A Comparison of Starters and Reservers (2019). Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Sekiguchi Y, Adams WM, Benjamin CL, Curtis RM, Giersch GEW, Casa, DJ. Relationship Between Resting Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability and Sleep Characteristics Among Female Collegiate Cross-Country Athletes (2019). Journal of Sleep Research. 35 (5): 1326-1330.
- Sekiguchi Y, Adams WM, Curtis RM, Benjamin CL, Casa DJ. Factors Influencing Hydration Status During a National Collegiate Athletics Association Division 1 Soccer Preseason (2019). Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 22(6):624-628.
- Sekiguchi Y, Huggins RA, Curtis RM,Benjamin CL, Adams WA, Looney DP, West CA, Casa DJ. Relationship Between Heart Rate Variability and Acute:Chronic Load Ratio Throughout a Season in NCAA D1 Men's Soccer Players (2018). Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- Adams JD, Sekiguchi Y, Suh HG, Seal AD, Sprong CA, Kirkland TW, and Kavouras SA. Dehydration Impairs Cycling Performance, Independently of Thirst: A Blinded Study (2018). Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 50 (8): 1697-1703.
- Sekiguchi Y, Ono T, Hirakawa K. Effect of Active Body Heating by Taking a Bath as a Conditioning Method on Exercise Performance 1st Report: Effects on Endurance Performance and Muscular Fatigue Indices (2017). Journal of Training Science for Exercise and Sport. 29(1): 9-15.
- Sekiguchi Y, Ono T, Hirakawa K. Effect of Active Body Heating by Taking a Bath as a Conditioning Method on Exercise Performance 2nd Report: Effect on Intermittent Exercise Performance (2017). Journal of Training Science for Exercise and Sport. 29(1): 17-22.
- Sekiguchi Y, Benjamin CL, Casa DJ. NSCA's Essentials of Sport Science. Environmental Stress. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL, USA.
- Sekiguchi Y, Kavouras SA, Yeargin S, Ng J, Calabrese P. Elite Soccer Players: Maximizing Performance and Safety. Hydration and Heat Strategies in Soccer. Routledge: Taylor Francis Group, UK.
- Benjamin CL, Sekiguchi Y, Mehlhorn JD. Elite Soccer Players: Maximizing Performance and Safety. Considerations for Variations in Soccer Around the World. Routledge: Taylor Francis Group, UK.
Department of Kinesiology & Sport Management
AddressBox 43011, Texas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409