Computational Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
● The Lab maintains its own version of OpenFOAM software to model the Liquid Jet Impingement
Cooling System (LJICS).
• An in-house, flow analysis package, HEAD3D, is available to analyze three dimensional, steady or transient, turbulent flows in or around complex geometries. Currently, the code uses the standard k-model to model the turbulence in the flow. HEAD3D can handle unstructured mesh.
• The laboratory has a license to run the commercial grid generation package ICEM CFD.
• Visualization of the computed results is achieved with the aid of the commercial package EnSight and
● The Lab has a license to run FLUENT© and COMSOL©.
Liquid Jet Impingement Cooling System
Study of Vehicle Aerodynamics and Wind Noise
Modeling Axisymmetric Wakes with Swirl
Modeling High-Frequency Ventilating Machines
Flow problems studied with the aid of HEAD3D
• Computation of drag coefficient and pressure distribution around a three-dimensional
• Calculation of fluid flow and Heat Transfer in a rotating channel.
• Numerical simulation of the Cooling process inside a minivan passenger compartment.
• Flow around a rotating wheel.
● Blood flow through arteries.
• Numerical computation of temperature inside a nuclear storage room with buoyancy effects.