Texas Tech University

Applying to Texas Tech

The Application Process

Students are admitted to graduate study (in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters) by the Graduate School on the recommendation of the Department.

Students applying to the Master's Thesis and PhD in Natural Resources Management must contact faculty members with whom they would like to work before they submit their Graduate School application. Applicants should inquire about assistantships and funding when they contact faculty members. Faculty bios, research interests, publications, and contact information can be found here.  

Master's Non-Thesis students are self-funded and will be assigned faculty members during their first semester at Texas Tech.


The NRM department accepts applications during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters each year. We ask that applicants submit completed applications at least 10 weeks prior to the start of the semester. The deadlines are: June 14, 2022 for Fall 2022; November 4, 2022 for Spring 2023; and March 24, 2023 for Summer 2023.

Admissions FAQs

Q: What are the programs offered?
A: Students can apply to either the Master's Thesis, the Master's Non-Thesis, or the PhD degree programs. The department also offers an online-only program, the Professional Science Master's. More information about the PSM program can be found here.  

Q: How many hours do I have to complete to graduate?
A: Master's Thesis students take a minimum of 24 hours of coursework plus, 6 hours of research, and 6 hours of thesis. Master's Non-Thesis students take a minimum of 36 hours of coursework. There is no research or thesis component to the Master's Non-Thesis. PhD students take a minimum of 60 hours of coursework, including Teaching Practicum (NRM 7219) and up to 6 hours of research.  An additional 12 hours of dissertation are required.  PhD students can transfer up to 30 hours of coursework from their Master's. Transfer credits are accepted at the discretion of the Graduate School and can only be applied if the courses taken elsewhere have equivalents at Texas Tech.

Q: What are the required components of the graduate application?
A: Applicants must apply to the Graduate School. Students will apply through the TTU Graduate School. The following application requirements should be uploaded on that application: a cirriculum vitae, personal statement, unofficial transcripts, and TOEFL scores if the students native language is not English. Three letters of recommendation are also required, and can be emailed directly to the Staff Graduate Coordinator, Ms. Darla Anderson at darlande@ttu.edu. Ideally, the letters of recommendation should come from professors or other PhD level scientists with sufficient familiarity with the applicant to attest to their ability to complete a graduate degree. Other letters from prior employers, graduate students, and/or respected members of society may be included, but should be in addition to the three letters from professors or scientists.  

Q: What department should I select on the Graduate School application?
A: Select "Wildlife, Aquatic, and Wildlands Science and Management" on the Graduate School application.

Q: How long should the personal statement be?
A: We have no official requirement regarding the length of the personal statement, although the typical length is between one and three pages. It should address personal interests and goals in this graduate research program and career objectives after graduation.

Q: Do I have to take the GREs?
A: No, currently the GRE general test is not required and will not be for the entire 2022-2023 academic year. 

Q: Do I have to take the TOEFL exam if my native language is not English?
A: Yes. Texas Tech University requires this exam. Further information can be found on the Graduate School's website at https://www.depts.ttu.edu/international/ieem/admission/englishProof.php.

Q: Can I apply to the graduate program if my undergraduate and/or Master's degree is not in Natural Resources Management, Conservation, Ecology, Biology, or a related field?
A: Yes. Your record, however, must demonstrate substantial coursework and research ability in the sciences.

Q: Can I apply to the PhD program without an MS/MA?
A: No. All incoming PhD students must have a Master's degree prior to beginning their studies at Texas Tech. Students applying to the MS degree program are required to have a Bachelor's.

Q: Is there financial support offered for MS and PhD students?
A: Financial support is determined by the student's advisor, though generally, fully-funded MS students receive around $16,000 per year (with tuition remission) and fully-funded PhD students receive around $18,000 per year (with tuition remission). All students are required to pay University fees each semester. Master's Non-Thesis and Professional Science Master's students are self-funded.