Ph.D. in Spanish (Minimum 45 Hours in Spanish)
Required Courses: 3-6 Hours
- SPAN 5352: Methods of Literary Criticism
Linguistics (required for TAs and GPTIs, but encouraged for all)
- LING 5322: Theoretical and Research Foundations of Language Teaching
Core Courses: 45 Hours
Choose from courses listed below. Students are required to take at least two courses in peninsular literature, two courses Spanish-American literature and a fifth course from other areas. It is advisable that students take courses from the three main genres and in a variety of periods. Comparable coursework from other institutions will be evaluated. Courses may be repeated for credit if content changes.
Foreign Language Requirement
- Students must possess reading knowledge of two languages other than English or Spanish.
- A graduate minor in a language other than English or Spanish may substitute for this requirement.
In order to determine standard competency reading knowledge in a language other than English or Spanish:
- Students may fulfill the reading knowledge requirement by passing with a C- or better the second course of the sophomore sequence of the required language. Those seeking to present a high level of competency will pass with a B- or better any literature course at the third-year level or beyond.
- How to Satisfy Foreign Language Requirement
Dissertation: 12 Hours Minimum
Does not count towards the 60 required hours.