Department of Philosophy
The Texas Tech Philosophy Department, ranked among the top twelve Philosophy MA programs in the nation, is committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research, and service to the Texas Tech community. Our graduate and upper division classes are small, and students can expect to receive a great deal of individual attention from faculty. Members of the faculty mentor both graduate student teaching and individual research projects, including assisting students in preparing papers for regional conferences or for publication. Since our faculty specializations reflect a wide range of research interests, programs of study can reflect breadth as well as depth. We have particular strengths in Ethics, Aesthetics, and History of Philosophy. Our colloquium series allows students to meet directly with visiting philosophers of national and international renown. In all of this, we are committed to preparing students for the profession of philosophy, as well as for other professions such as law and public service.
News and Announcements:
- Congratulations to Professor Jeremy Schwartz who won the 2020 College of Arts & Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award.
- The Department is pleased to announce that we have hired David Boylan (PhD, MIT). Dr. Boylan is an Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Postdoctoral Associate in the Philosophy Department at Rutgers University, New Brunswick, and will join us in Fall 2020.
- Congratulations to undergraduate philosophy major, Michelle Corcoran, who won the Texas Tech Parents Association's Student Achievement Leadership Award. Her Texas Tech Today profile is here.
- Professor Howard Curzer is in the news with advice about the current health crisis.
- Professor Amy Flowerree is featured in this Research Spotlight on Texas Tech Women Faculty.
- Professor Jeremy Schwartz has been promoted to the rank of associate professor.
- Professor Justin Tosi's opinion piece on moral grandstanding and the Oscars appears on CNN.
- Professor Anna Ribeiro has been elected to the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Aesthetics.
- Professor Anna Ribeiro will be a visiting researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics in June 2020.
- Professor Jeremy Schwartz received the 2019 Philosophy Department Teacher of the Year Award.
- Professor Mark Webb has been awarded faculty development leave for Fall 2019.
- Texas Tech Philosophy is named 'Best for the Money' in Texas in national survey by College Factual.
- Professor Joel Velasco has been promoted to the rank of associate professor.
- The Department has established a local chapter of MAP (Minorities and Philosophy).
- Professor Anna Ribeiro will be a guest professor of aesthetics at the University of Vienna in the summer of 2019.
- Since 2008, members of the Philosophy Department at Texas Tech University have secured $866,152 in grants and external funding.