Department of Philosophy
The Texas Tech Philosophy Department, ranked among the top twelve Philosophy MA programs in the nation, is committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research, and service to the Texas Tech community. Our graduate and upper division classes are small, and students can expect to receive a great deal of individual attention from faculty. Members of the faculty mentor both graduate student teaching and individual research projects, including assisting students in preparing papers for regional conferences or for publication. Since our faculty specializations reflect a wide range of research interests, programs of study can reflect breadth as well as depth. We have particular strengths in Ethics, Aesthetics, and History of Philosophy. Our colloquium series allows students to meet directly with visiting philosophers of national and international renown. In all of this, we are committed to preparing students for the profession of philosophy, as well as for other professions such as law and public service.
News and Announcements:
- Professor Joel Velasco received the 2018 Professing Excellence award.
- The Department is hiring for a tenure-track, assistant professor in social/political or ethics. Deadline for the application is Nov 23. See the advertisement here.
- The Department is pleased to announce that we have hired Bruno Whittle (DPhil, Oxford) and Amy Flowerree (PhD, Northwestern). Dr. Whittle will join us in Fall 2017, and Dr. Flowerree will join us in Fall 2018 after completing a one-year postdoc at the Center for Contemporary Epistemology and the Kantian Tradition, at the University of Cologne.
- Professor Anna Christina Ribeiro has been elected to the Board of Trustees of the American Society for Aesthetics (2017- 2020).
- Professor Mark Webb was awarded a Lawrence Schovanec Teaching Development Scholarship.
- Professor Christopher Hom was selected as a 2017 Alumni College Fellow.
- Since 2008, the Philosophy Department at Texas Tech University has secured $693,152 in grants and external funding.