Department of Philosophy
The Texas Tech Philosophy Department, ranked among the top twelve Philosophy MA programs in the nation, is committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research, and service to the Texas Tech community. Our graduate and upper division classes are small, and students can expect to receive a great deal of individual attention from faculty. Members of the faculty mentor both graduate student teaching and individual research projects, including assisting students in preparing papers for regional conferences or for publication. Since our faculty specializations reflect a wide range of research interests, programs of study can reflect breadth as well as depth. We have particular strengths in Ethics, Aesthetics, and History of Philosophy. Our colloquium series allows students to meet directly with visiting philosophers of national and international renown. In all of this, we are committed to preparing students for the profession of philosophy, as well as for other professions such as law and public service.
News and Announcements:
- Professor Mark Webb has been promoted to Full Professor.
- Professor Anna Ribeiro has been awarded a National Humanities Center fellowship for 2013-14.
- Joel Velasco and Alex Grzankowski will both begin tenure-track in Fall of 2013.
- The Philosophy Department has received a generous bequest for the Sena Ethel Montgomery Bucy and J. Fred Bucy, Sr. Scholarship. We anticipate awarding substantial scholarships starting in Spring 2013, for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- The Philosophy Department has received a planned gift for the Kenneth Laine Ketner Scholarship. We anticipate awarding scholarships starting in the Spring of 2013, for the 2013-2014 academic year.