Department of Philosophy
The Texas Tech Philosophy Department, ranked among the top twelve Philosophy MA programs in the nation, is committed to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research, and service to the Texas Tech community. Our graduate and upper division classes are small, and students can expect to receive a great deal of individual attention from faculty. Members of the faculty mentor both graduate student teaching and individual research projects, including assisting students in preparing papers for regional conferences or for publication. Since our faculty specializations reflect a wide range of research interests, programs of study can reflect breadth as well as depth. We have particular strengths in Ethics, Aesthetics, and History of Philosophy. Our colloquium series allows students to meet directly with visiting philosophers of national and international renown. In all of this, we are committed to preparing students for the profession of philosophy, as well as for other professions such as law and public service.
News and Announcements:
- Our MA program is now ranked #4 in the nation for placement into PhD programs.
- The Department is pleased to announce that Thomas Byrne (MIT) will be joining the faculty in Fall 2024.
- The Department is pleased to announce the new undergraduate Cognitive Science Minor.
- Congratulations to Professor David Boylan who won the Philosophy department's 'Teacher of the Year' Award for 2021-2022.
- Congratulations to Professor Christopher Hom who has been awarded a Texas Tech Mid-Career Faculty Grant.
- Congratulations to Professor Anna Ribeiro who has been promoted to the rank of Full Professor starting Fall 2022.
- Dr. Joseph Gottlieb (University of Illinois at Chicago) will be joining the department as a research assistant professor starting Fall 2021.
- Congratulations to Professor Amy Flowerree who was awarded a Texas Tech Humanities Center Alumni College fellowship for 2021-22.
- Since 2008, members of the Philosophy Department at Texas Tech University have secured $866,152 in grants and external funding.