Katie Brown, PhD
Phone: (806) 834-7005
Kinesiology and Sport Management, Rm 138
Office Hours: Monday & Wednesday 1:00pm- 2:00pm; Also by appointment
Curriculum Vitae (updated Fall 2022)
Education2014-2018 Ph.D. in Kinesiology Specialization: Sport Management, Texas A&M University
Recent Courses Taught & UpcomingSPMT 4359 – Legal Aspects of Sport
SPMT 4354 - Current Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics
SPMT 4353 - Social Issues in Sport
SPMT 5329 - Event Management in Sport
SPMT 5344 - Applied Issues in Sport Analytics
SPMT 5346 – Law in the Sport Industry
- Trademark Law
- Brand Management
- Legal Scandals
- Brown, K.M., & Brison, N.T. (2022). Think like adidas: A quantitative analysis of adidas' three-stripe trademark protection strategies. Marquette Sports Law Review, 32, 445.
- Brown, S.M., & Brown, K.M. (2022). Betting on athlete data: The legal landscape of professional sports, athletes'
rights, and gaming companies. Journal of Global Sport Management, 1-21.
- Cho, S., Brison, N.T., Brown, K.M., & Quinn, K. (2021). A theoretical explanation of sport trademark litigation:Already v. Nike and Forever 21 v. Adidas. Journal of Global Sport Management, 1-25.
- Brison, N.T., Pickett A.D., & Brown, K.M. (2020). Losing weight with Charles and Dan: Examining potential liability for endorser
claims in weight loss advertisements. Sport Marketing Quarterly.
- Brown, K.M., Brison, N.T. & Batista, P.J. (2019). An Empirical Examination of Consumer Survey
Use in Trademark Litigation. Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review, 39(3) 237-283.
Awarded the Best Intellectual Property Paper Award by Thomson Reuters
- Brown, K.M., & Salaga, S. (2018). NCAA football television viewership: Do consumers care about
both absolute and relative quality? Sport Management Review.
- Brown, K.M., & Brison, N.T. (2018). A tale of two trademarks: Comparing and contrasting brand
protection strategies by adidas and Converse. The Entertainment and Sports Law Journal.
- Salaga, S. & Brown, K.M. (2018). Momentum and betting market perceptions of momentum in college football. Applied Economics Letters.
Department of Kinesiology & Sport Management
AddressBox 43011, Texas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409