Windows OU Administration
This section contains TTUnet Active Directory OU Administration standards. If you have questions about the standards contained herein, please contact the Director of Telecommunications.
- Only service accounts1 and administrative accounts2 may be created within an OU. No personal, general-use accounts may be created. Users (employees, students, guests) must always use their eRaider account when accessing computing systems.
- All service account and administrative account usernames and group names must begin with your organization's TTUnet code followed by an underscore (e.g., lib_admins, ba_staff, itts_lab_east). For a list of all TTUnet organization codes, click here.
- Computer Accounts:
- All systems must be configured to use DHCP
- Texas Tech University employees may join computers to the domain; computer accounts will be automatically created in the ttu.edu/ttu/Computers OU
- OU Administrators may move their departmental computer accounts from the ttu.edu/ttu/Computers OU as needed
- Optionally, OU Administrators may pre-create computer accounts in their departmental OU
- OUs will be periodically audited for compliance with this policy. Necessary steps will be taken to bring non-compliant directory objects into compliance
1Service Account: An account used in the context of running a Windows service (e.g., Directory Replicator, Microsoft SQL Server).
2Administrative Account: An account which is granted administrative rights for the purpose of performing administrator-level operations within the Windows operating system.
AddressTexas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409