The Sustainable Pork Farm Site
References from Our Laboratory
Management and Behavior
- Johnson, A. K., J.L. Morrow-Tesch and J.J. McGlone. 2001. Behavior and performance of lactating sows and piglets reared indoors or outdoors. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2571-2579.
- McGlone J.J., and T.A. Hicks. 2000. Farrowing hut design and sow genotype (Camborough-15 vs 25% Meishan) effects on outdoor sow and litter productivity. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2832-2835.
- Johnson A.K. and J.J. McGlone. 2003. Fender design and insulation of farrowing huts: Effects on performance of outdoor sows and piglets. J. Anim. 81:955-964.
- McGlone J.J. and F. Blecha. 1987. An examination of behavioral, immunological and productive traits in four management systems for sows and piglets. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 18:269-286.
- Sarignac, Catherine, J.P. Signoret, J.J. McGlone. 1997. Relation mère-jeune, comportement et performances en fonction du système de logement et de l’environnement social. Journees Rech. Porcine en France, 29:123-128.
- Johnson Anna Kerr, Julie Lynn Morrow, Dailey, Jeffery William, ,McGlone John James. 2007. Preweaning mortality in loose-housed lactating sows: Behavioral and performance differences between sows who crush or do not crush piglets. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 105:59-74.
- Dailey Jeffery W. and J.J. McGlone. 1997. Pregnant gilt behavior in outdoor and indoor intensive pork production systems. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 52:45-52.
- Dailey Jeffery W. and J.J. McGlone. 1997. Oral/nasal/facial and other behaviors of sows kept individually outdoors on pasture, soil or indoors in gestation crates. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 52:25-43.
Growth and Meat Quality
- Gentry J.G., J.J. McGlone, J.R. Blanton, Jr., and M.F. Miller. 2002. Alternative housing systems for pigs: Influences on growth, composition, and pork quality. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1781-1790.
- Gentry J.G, J.J. McGlone, M.F. Miller, J.R. Blanton, Jr. 2004. Environmental effects on pig performance, meat quality, and muscle characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 82:209-217.
- Gentry J.G, J.J McGlone, J.R. Blanton, Jr., and M.F. Miller. 2002. Impact of spontaneous exercise on performance, meat quality, and muscle fiber characteristics of growing/finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2833-2839.
- Gentry J.G, J.J. McGlone, M.F. Miller, and J.R. Blanton, Jr. 2002. Diverse birth and rearing environment effects on pig growth and meat quality. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1707-1715.
- Rachuonyo H.A., W.G. Pond, and J.J. McGlone. 2002. Effects of stocking rate and crude protein intake during gestation on ground cover, soil-nitrate concentration, and sow and litter performance in an outdoor swine production system. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1451-1461.
- Rachuonyo H.A, J.J. McGlone. 2006. Impact of outdoor gestating gilts on soil nutrients, vegetative cover, rooting damage, and pig performance. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 29:69-87.
- Rachuonyo H.A, V.G. Allen, and J.J. McGlone. 2005. Behavior, preference for, and use of alfalfa, tall fescue, white clover, and buffalograss by pregnant gilts in an outdoor production system. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2225-2234.
Immunity and Food Safety
- Kleinbeck Samara N, and John J. McGlone. 1999. Intensive indoor versus outdoor swine production systems: genotype and supplemental iron effects on blood hemoglobin and selected immune measures in young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2384-2390.
- Reed S.N. and J.J. McGlone. Immune status of PIC Camborough-15 sows, 25% Meishan sows, and their offspring kept indoors and outdoors. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2561-2567.
- Callaway T.R, J.L. Morrow, A.K. Johnson, J.W. Dailey, F.M. Wallace, E.A. Wagstrom, J.J. McGlone, A.R. Lewis, S.E. Dowd, T.L. Poole, T.S. Edrington, R.C. Anderson, K.J. Genovese, J.A. Byrd, R.B. Harvey. 2005. Environmental prevalence and persistence of Salmonella spp. in outdoor swine wallows. Foodbourne Pathogens and Disease. 2:263-273.
- Rudine A.C., M.A. Sutherland, L. Hulbert, J.J. McGlone. 2007. Diverse production system and social status effects on pig immunity and behavior. Livestock Science. 111:86-95.
- Jarvinen Michael Keith, Julie Morrow-Tesch, John J. McGlone, and Terry L. Powley. 1998. Effects of diverse developmental environments on neuronal morphology in domestic pigs (Sus scrofa). Developmental Brain Research. 107:21-31.
- Nicholson, R.I., J.J. McGlone, and R.T. Ervin. 1995. Economic Comparison of pig feedlot housing facilities in the Southern High Plains of Texas. 8:19-26. Texas. J. Agric. Nat. Resour.
Review Sustainable Systems and Animal Welfare
- McGlone J.J. 2001. Farm animal welfare in the context of other society issues: toward sustainable systems. Livestock Production Science. 72:75-81.