The Texas Tech University Department of Computer Science will:
- Be the undergraduate Computer Science department of choice in Texas and be recognized as one of the top research and graduate Computer Science departments in the nation.
- Advance the state−of−the−art in computer science and software engineering through the achievement of fundamental advances, testing these advances through their application to hard problems.
- Instruct undergraduate and graduate students in the state−of−the−art scientific and engineering methods pertinent to computer science and software engineering in order to lead students to a point of understanding where they remain inquisitive, serious, ethical, and creative problem solvers.
- Be recognized as one of the top public educational and research computer science departments in the United States, attracting the best students, faculty, and staff.
- Prepare students to be leaders and decision makers, articulate and principled, innovative and confident, and able to think critically with sound reasoning ability.
- Be a research−intensive department where faculty discovery enhances learning and prepares students to compete in a knowledge−based society.
- Be engaged in local, regional, and state social and economic development for the benefit of both the public and private sectors
The Texas Tech University Department of Computer Science is committed to the values of:
- Mutual respect
- Cooperation & communication
- Creativity & innovation
- Community service & leadership
- Academic & intellectual freedom
- Pursuit of excellence
- Public accountability
The Department of Computer Science engages in the research, education, and service activities required to create and disseminate the knowledge of problem solving using computers.