A food allergy is an abnormal response to a food, or a specific protein in food, triggered by your body's immune system. Allergic reactions to food can sometimes cause serious illness and death. Individuals can be allergic to any food, but 90% of all reactions are due to eight foods. These include: milk, egg, peanut, tree nut (walnuts, almonds, etc.), fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat.
Even a tiny amount of an allergy-causing food can trigger a reaction in susceptible individuals. These can include digestive problems, hives, and swollen airways. In extremely sensitive individuals, a serious allergic reaction called anaphylaxis can result, leading to death. Therefore, it is important for students with food allergies to contact Hospitality Services or speak with a manager to ensure they take the proper precautions to avoid an allergic reaction.
Follow the links below for more information:
Food Allergies & Dining On Campus
Hospitality Services locations maintain strict control in their food preparation. Guests with food allergies or other food intolerances should consult the Unit Manager for specific ingredient questions. Please keep in mind that all products are produced in a facility that may contain other common food allergens. It is recommended that all guests with food allergies consult our Registered Dietitian for additional assistance and accommodations at (806) 834-0849. Hospitality Services staff can assist you only if you make your food allergies known to us.
- Peanut Oil: Chick-fil-A© on campus (Sam's West & Student Union) use peanut oil in the fryers.
- Peanut Oil: Salad bars throughout campus, Shelled Sunflower Seeds may contain Peanut Oil.
- Peanut Butter and Tree Nut Butters: Einstein Bros© and various dining locations on campus: carry small individual wrapped single serve containers of peanut butter and/or Nutella© near bread options. Jared© peanut butter is no longer available.
- Peanut Butter: *The Fresh Plate @ B/G nut butter.
- Peanut Sauce: Raider Exchange @ West Village: Peanut Sauce on Panini or Sandwich. Please checks before ordering sandwiches at this location.
- Nut Butter: The Commons: Grillz line carries nut butter in form of Nutella©.
- Peanut Butter and or Peanuts: Sam's Place Locations (Retail Area): Pre-wrapped nuts, seeds, and bars.
- Sesame Products: Zi, Sushi with Gusto© Grab-n-Go: Asian Egg Rolls & Spring Rolls, Orange Sauce, Szechuan Sauce
- Tree Nuts and Nut Products: Various Dining Locations on Campus: Otis Spunkmeyer© Cookies and Muffins may contain walnuts
- Tree Nuts: Various Dining Locations on Campus: Fresh baked cookies contain macadamia nuts. All fresh cookies store in same glass case with tree nut products. Bulk Granola Nut Cereal contains almonds.
Food Allergies & | Video