College of Human Sciences
Retail Management Field Study in Asia
Drs. Deborah Fowler and Catherine Jai led a field study tour of 19 students to Hong Kong, and Taipei, Taiwan from May 21-June 1. Undergraduates were enrolled in RTL 4300, Retailing Field Study Tour and RETL 5300, Retail Field Study Tour. Executives with Swire Properties, Eclat factories and corporate office, vendors including Lululemon, Sunny Lace, Singtex and retailers include Burberry, Grana and Carrefour in Hong Kong and Taipei. In addition, students visited many local tourist sites and activities including the Dragon Boat Festival, the National Palace Museum, Victoria Peak, and the Stanley Market.
It is beneficial for students in the field of retailing to travel to Asia since most of the vendors are located in the Asia Pacific region, especially for those who look forward to working in buying or sourcing offices in retail corporations.
As a part of the tour, students were asked to produce videos documenting their experience abroad. (see below).
The site visits including:
- Hong Kong
- Burberry (Luxury retailer)
- Grana (Online star-up brand)
- Swire Property (Property developer: manages world-class commercial, retail, hotels and residential properties.)
- Happy Valley Race Course
- Victoria Peak
- Stanley Park
- Taipei, Taiwan
- Sunny Lace (Vendor of Victoria Secret)
- ECLAT (Vendor of Lululemon, Nike, etc.)
- Singtex (Vendor of Nike, Patagonia, Dillard's, etc.)
- Costco (American retailer in Asia)
- Taipei 101
- Fu-Jen Catholic University
- Makong Gondola