Nutrigenomics, Inflammation and Obesity Research Lab (NIOR)
Nishan Sudheera Kalupahana, MBBS, Ph.D.
- Ethnic differences in body mass index-associated chronic disease risk (especially in Asian Populations)
- Obesity, immune function and adipose tissue inflammation
- Adipose tissue renin-angiotensin system (RAS) in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance
- Mechanisms by which fatty acids (mainly omega-3 PUFAs) modulate adipose tissue function
- Lifestyle interventions targeting obesity-associated co-morbidities including non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- We have expertise in immunology techniques including flow cytometry and in vivo metabolic studies in rodents and would be happy to collaborate in translational research on obesity.
- Our research group in Sri Lanka are conducting mechanistic and clinical studies in answering questions related to obesity, metabolic syndrome, type-2 diabetes and NAFLD with the aid of adipose tissue samples and imaging techniques in patients. We are looking for collaborators to enhance these analyses.