Bachelor of Science in Nutrition
Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Sciences
With Texas Tech University's flexible Bachelor of Science in Nutrition degree, you can develop specialized knowledge for a health career in medicine, nursing, pharmacy, education, physical fitness, or other health care professions.
Our flexible Nutrition Degree prepares you for careers in a wide range of health-related professions.
You can focus your nutrition degree by choosing one of three concentrations:
- In the Pre-Professional Health concentration of the nutrition degree, you will get a comprehensive science background that includes prerequisite courses for medical, nursing, or dental schools, or postgraduate programs in physical therapy, pharmacy, and optometry.
- The nutrition program's Health and Wellness concentration prepares you for many types of careers, including corporate wellness, personal fitness, social services, agricultural extension, and the food industry. In addition, the Health and Wellness concentration includes courses in writing and marketing, which can prepare you to contribute articles to nutrition-related magazines, blogs, textbooks, or other publications.
- The Secondary Teacher Certification concentration combines our nutrition degree with a specialized teaching credential, qualifying you to lead nutrition education classes for middle school and high school students.
Students may also choose to get a degree in nutrition and dietetics:
- In Texas Tech University's nutritional sciences program, you will get superior preparation to become a Registered Dietitian or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. Our Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Sciences and Dietetics degree program has an 89 percent placement rate in post-graduate internships—nearly twice the national average. In addition, 95 percent of our nutritional sciences graduates pass the national certification exam within a year of their first attempt.
Our Nutrition Bachelor's Degree Leads to Strong Career Opportunities
All three of Texas Tech's nutrition degree concentrations help you compete successfully for jobs, graduate school placements, and national licensing exams. You will get educational benefits other nutrition programs cannot match, including:
- Laboratory experience. You can participate in research at Texas Tech's nationally renowned Human Nutrition Laboratory. Faculty and students conduct an extremely broad set of nutrition research projects at our one-of-a-kind obesity research facility and are considered world leaders in this rapidly growing field.
- Practical training. Texas Tech's nutrition degree provides superior opportunities for hands-on practice. You will interact with the community and various professionals who advise individuals about diet, nutrition, fitness, and health and wellness.
- An interdisciplinary approach. Our nutrition program excels in making connections among diet, physical health, and mental well-being. This unique approach makes our nutrition degree especially marketable.
- A strong science foundation. All concentrations in our nutrition program provide you with a strong scientific background. Our graduates have excellent admission rates to science- and medicine-related graduate programs such as medical, dental, pharmacy, and nursing school.
Career Opportunities in Nutrition
Society's trend toward good nutrition and health has made nutrition degrees more valuable in the job market.
A bachelor's degree in nutrition prepares you for a wide range of careers and postgraduate schools. Depending on which concentration you choose, you can use the nutrition degree to prepare for a career as a:
- Nutrition teacher
- Personal trainer or fitness trainer
- Wellness manager
- Freelance writer
- Consultant for food or drug companies
- Physician Assistant
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
For more information about the Bachelor of Nutritional Science Degree
Request Information OnlineRequest Info
Contact the Office of Recruitment and Visitor's Center
Phone: (806) 742-1941