Texas Tech University

Course Registration

FAQ Category: Registration

Where do I register?

There are two ways to access the system:

  1. Log in to registration.texastech.edu
  2. Log in to Raiderlink (raiderlink.ttu.edu) using your eRaider username and password. Navigate to the MyTech tab, then click on Manage My Enrollment>Registration

For a helpful overview of how to use the online registration system, please see: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/registrar/regvideo.php

Report technical issues (system is slow, will not save) to IT HELP at https://www.depts.ttu.edu/ithelpcentral/assistance_request.php

[Categories: Registration; ]

When can I register?

Advance Registration for Fall courses occurs in April. Advance Registration for Spring and Summer terms occurs in November. Advance Registration opening dates may be found in the detailed version of the TTU Academic Calendar, but specific dates are scheduled based on student status and/or earned hours.

Click on the Registration Status link located on the MyTech tab in Raiderlink under Manage My Enrollment>Registration to view the specific date Advance Registration will be open to you. This status is typically updated the month prior to Advance Registration.

[Categories: Registration; ]

What is my registration status?

Your eligible registration date is based upon your EARNED HOURS. The hours you are currently enrolled in are ATTEMPTED hours, and will not be earned until the grades are posted and the current term is finalized. The chart below will help you establish your status based on your Earned Hours:

  • First-Year: 0-29 hours
  • Sophomore: 30-59 hours
  • Junior: 60-89 hours
  • Senior: 90 hours until completion

[Categories: Registration; ]

Will someone tell me when it is time for Advance Registration?

Normally, no one will specifically remind you that Advance Registration is happening, but there are general announcements made via TechAnnounce.

[Categories: Registration; ]

How do I pick classes for the upcoming semester?

There are several tools available on Raiderlink to help you determine which classes to register for – DegreeWorks, Look Up Classes, and Schedule Builder.

DegreeWorks is a degree audit based on your current program(s) of study. It lists all of your degree requirements per your chosen degree plan(s), along with what is still needed to meet these requirements. It also lists your GPA, expected graduation date, catalog year, and credit hours earned. DegreeWorks will help you determine which classes are lacking toward completion of your degree.

You may select Look Up Classes from the MyTech menu on Raiderlink, then select “Browse Classes”. This tool will allow you to search classes by term, campus, and subject. It lists all of the available classes including seats available, time/location of the class, and the CRN. Be sure to click on Advanced Search for all available search parameters. You can also create different registration plans for your upcoming semester.

If you prefer a visual representation of your weekly schedule, Schedule Builder is another option. By selecting the appropriate term and campus, you can create a schedule by adding specific classes by class title. CRNs are the 5-digit numbers associated with every class section. Be sure to keep record of these as you will need them to register for each specific class and section.

[Categories: Registration; ]

Do I have to go to my advisor before I can register?

Each department and/or college will determine if you must visit with your advisor prior to registration. Some departments may set holds to ensure you come see them prior to registration. It is always a good idea to check in with your advisor periodically to ensure you are on track academically.

[Categories: Registration; ]

What is a hold?

A hold is something that blocks or prevents an action on your record. There are several types of holds, but registration holds (those that block a student's ability to add and/or drop classes) are most frequently encountered. These are placed by various departments on campus for various reasons, so you should be vigilant in checking for these.

It is advisable to check for holds often, particularly prior to registration. You can check your holds by clicking View Holds in Raiderlink under the MyTech tab>Manage My Enrollment>Registration.

ONLY the Originator of the hold may remove it.

[Categories: Registration; ]

What if I receive an error message when attempting to register?

​Be sure to read the specific error you receive while registering. Here is a list of common errors:

Prerequisite errors: A prerequisite is a class or score you need to meet before you can take a class. There are several places to look up the prerequisites (prereqs) for a class:

  • Course descriptions for individual classes (including prerequisites) are found in the TTU course catalog: https://www.depts.ttu.edu/officialpublications 
  • Course descriptions for individual classes (including prerequisites) are found by clicking on class options for each missing requirement in DegreeWorks.
  • All course details (including prerequisites) are available when browsing classes in the Look Up Classes tool.

If you believe you have met the prereqs required for a class, double-check your DegreeWorks audit. The most common issues are:

Missing AP or SAT course credit: contact the Office of the Registrar at 806-742-3661 or registrar@ttu.edu Note:  The email must come from your TTU email account.

Missing transfer course credit:  Check MyTransfer Credit by visiting www.reg.ttu.edu/mytransfer

Additional information is available on transfer credit questions at:  www.depts.ttu.edu/registrar/teo/

If you have all of the prerequisites on record and are still receiving an error, contact the department offering the course.

Link errors: Some large classes or lecture sections require that you also sign up for a discussion section. Some science lectures require accompanying labs. Sometimes it's difficult to know what is linked to what. Linked sections are noted when using the Look Up Classes tool

NOTE: Some courses have multiple linked sections (ex:  Astronomy).

Restrictions: There are various restrictions, so read carefully. Campus restrictions usually apply to online or distance courses. These can be temporary, but if you want an exact date as to when the restriction will be lifted, contact the department offering the class. College or major restrictions restrict sections to certain majors or colleges. These may or may not be temporary. Contact the department offering the class. 

[Categories: Registration; ]

How do I find online/distance classes?

​You can search for distance classes only using Browse Classes, clicking "Advanced Search" and selecting "Distance Electronic TTU" as the campus. If there is a specific meeting time listed, you will need to be on your computer during that time. If the time is TBA, then it is most likely self-paced. Keep in mind that not all distance courses are eligible for Lubbock campus students. Distance courses that will be available to local Lubbock students may not be opened for registration to local Lubbock students until one month prior to the term beginning.

[Categories: Registration; ]

How Do I Change Variable Credit Hours?

When you enroll in a variable credit hours course, the system will automatically enroll you in the minimum number of hours for that course. For instructions on how to change variable credit hours, please see: Changing Variable Credit Course Hours

[Categories: Registration; ]