Resolutions for 2000-2001
December 6, 2000
Resolution on the Child Care Center
(Stating the recommendation of the Staff Senate regarding the Child Care Center.)
WHEREAS, the Child Care Exploratory Committee was formed on September 1999, and charged
by the University Staff Senate to explore an affordable, accessible, and diverse
campus child care center for staff, faculty, and students.
WHEREAS, the assessment survey had a 30.5% response rate indicating a high need for quality
affordable child care; indicating preference that the facility be located between
the Texas Tech University and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center campuses;
and indicating that the facility should be for the sole use of Texas Tech staff,
faculty, and students.
WHEREAS, benefits of a Texas Tech child care center fully support the mission and vision
of Texas Tech University and the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center by
enhancing our reputation, recruitment and retention of faculty, staff and students;
reducing absenteeism rates; providing education and research opportunities; and improving
benefits to Texas Tech families and children.
THEREFORE, be it resolved that the following actions be taken to establish the Texas Tech
University Child Care Center:
1. Provide facilities for a 34,000 square foot center to serve 200 full time equivalent (FTE) children from two months through school age, and
2. Develop plans to add space for an additional 100 FTE within five years, and
3. Locate the child care facility between the university and the health sciences center, and
4. Explore and compare the options of outsourcing facility construction and management and of building a Texas Tech owned and operated facility, and
5. Request that Institutional Advancement explore the funding options outlined in the Child Care Exploratory Committee Report, and
6. Explore establishing a scholarship fund to assist lower income families with child care tuition costs.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED BY THE STAFF SENATE OF TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY, that this resolution be spread upon the Journal and copies be delivered to Mr.
Jim Sowell, Chairman, Board of Regents; Mr. John T. Montford, Chancellor; Dr. David
Schmidly, President, Texas Tech University; Dr. David Smith, MD, President Texas
Tech University Health Sciences Center; and Wayne Hodgin, Editor of the University
Author: Child Care Exploratory Committee , Texas Tech University, 06 December 2000
President, Staff Senate