The TECHniques Center is an academic enhancement program providing supplemental academic support services to meet the needs and promote the retention of undergraduate students with documented evidence of Learning Disabilities, Attention Deficit – Hyperactivity Disorders, and Autism Spectrum Disorders. Tutors at the TECHniques Center are trained in workshops and seminars to develop skills for working with different learning styles and disabilities, making them eligible for certification through the College Reading and Learning Association. The main responsibility of tutors is providing one-on one interactive content tutoring, with guidance in academic and life skills essential to a successful college career.
- Flexible hours
- Paid training
- Starting pay is $10.00/hour for undergraduates and $11.00/hour for graduates
- Tutor certification from the College Reading and Learning Association
- Ongoing support, feedback, and evaluation
- Documented experience and evaluations to use for resumes, interviews, and job references
- 40 credit hours at the time of the first tutoring assignment
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 with an A/B earned in the subjects tutored
- Attendance at all training sessions, including a mandatory two-day workshop at the beginning of each semester and monthly trainings and meetings
- A willingness to maintain student confidentiality and follow all departmental policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in order to ensure a high level of learning and understanding between the tutor, the student, and staff members
- Strong understanding of course material
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the unique needs of our students
- Positive attitude, energy, and eagerness to work with as a team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Genuine concern for others and the desire to help fellow students
- A completed Tutor Application.
- Resume or C.V. including previous work experiences and references.
- Undergraduate transcripts (if an international student).
- Bring Tutor Application, resume, and undergraduate transcripts (if applicable) to 242 West Hall. You may also mail or fax materials to:
Texas Tech University
Box 45007, 242 West Hall
Lubbock, TX 79409-5007
Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis, and tutors are interviewed and hired according to our current student needs. Submitting an application does not automatically result in an interview.
TECHniques Center Tutor Application