Texas Tech University

BA Languages & Cultures - German Major

The undergraduate BA Languages & Cultures - German consists of 33 hours of course work at the 2000 level and above. This includes:

  • Completion of at least one course on the 3000-level which is taught in German before enrolling in a 4000-level course
  • A minimum of 12 hours (4 courses) of 4000-level German courses
  • CMLL 2305: Introduction to Literatures and Cultures

Courses are offered in culture, language and literature.
At least nine hours of upper level German classes must be taken in residence at Texas Tech. Each major is tailored to meet student needs. For more detailed information, consult your Undergraduate Catalog.

Students interested in a German major should contact Carla Burrus to discuss their studies and to complete a degree plan.

Why do a German Major? The marketable skills you will gain:

Why a German major

Learn more about job opportunities with German here!

Possible courses for the major:

Courses Credits
2nd-year courses:  
• GERM 2301: A Second Course in German 3
• GERM 2302: A Second Course in German II 3
3rd-year courses (you need at least 1):  
• GERM 3301: German Culture and Society (CL)* 3
• GERM 3303: Conversation and Composition (CL)* 3
• GERM 3304: Introduction to Literature (CL)* 3
• GERM 3305: German Language Studies (Summer Study Abroad) 3
• GERM 3306: Contemporary Germany (Summer Study Abroad) (CL in residence only)* 3
4th-year courses (you need at least 4):  
• GERM 4301: Grammar 3
• GERM 4303: German Classics (CL)* 3
• GERM 4305: Readings in German Language and Literature (can be repeated for credit) (CL)* 3
• GERM 4309: Business German 3
• GERM 4000: Independent Study 1-4

* For communication literacy (CL) requirements, check student's respective catalog year. The information provided is based on the 2018-2019 Catalog which is 9 hours from the list of CL courses taken in residence.

The German Summer Study Abroad Program is usually offered every year during the first summer session. Departmental scholarships are available for study abroad.