College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP exams will not be administered on Monday, January 25th due to maintenance updates.
- CLEP exams provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate college level knowledge for specific undergraduate courses.
- CLEP is designed to assess knowledge gained through accelerated, advanced or honors high school classes, as well as independent study.
- Texas Tech University only accepts the CLEP subject examinations.
- CLEP exams are computer-based and by appointment only. (Several sessions per week are available).
- Seniors must notify their academic dean's office prior to attempting a CLEP exam and provide a letter of notification to Academic Testing Services upon registering for the exam.
You can visit the College Board website for more information.
How to Sign-up & Reserve your CLEP exams at Academic Testing Services:
- Contact the ATS Office by phone (806) 742-3671 or E-mail email@example.com for current availability and fees.
- For more information, please see our CLEP application material.
- Please visit College Board for a video tutorial of the CLEP registration process.
- Visit CLEP at https://clepportal.collegeboard.org/myaccount to set up an account and pay their $89 (non-refundable) Exam Fee (Credit/ Debit Only). When purchasing your CLEP exam, your first and last name must MATCH EXACTLY the name as it appears on your government issued ID. You will receive a registration ticket. (Save this as a document.)
- Fill out page 2 of the CLEP application material. You'll need to print this page and scan it. (Save this as a document.)
- For seniors, make sure you have your Letter of Notification from your Dean or Advisor. (Save this as a document.)
- Your online registration with College Board does NOT include your appointment at Academic Testing Services. The Registration Fee to Texas Tech University is $49.00 (non-refundable). A payment link will be sent to your email when all necessary documents have been received.
- Seating is limited and testing is by appointment only. Arrive for a test session 30 minutes early (test sessions begin at 2:00 PM Monday through Friday and students must arrive by 1:30 PM).
- Photo ID is required (must be official government ID).
- CLEP exams will NOT be offered during Texas Tech final exams.
CLEP Application Material:
Download CLEP application material.
- Sample test questions can be downloaded at www.collegeboard.com.
- CLEP exams are not offered online. The exam must be taken in an approved CLEP testing center.
- Results are based on a scaled score; therefore, one point does not equal one question. The highest score one can receive on a CLEP exam is an 80.
- If taking College Composition Modular or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, there will be an extra fee of $30.00 for the on-campus essay that will be graded by graders in the Texas Tech English Department. This must be scheduled ahead of time and on a different date.
- Please allow 2 hours to complete each testing session. Students are allowed 90 minutes to complete one exam. The additional 30 minutes are required for registration and tutorial.
- If you test with Academic Testing Services, scores will be reported to the Texas Tech Registrar within 5 business days.
- CLEP scores do not affect a student's GPA. Course credit will be placed on a student's transcript for the Texas Tech equivalent course for which credit was earned.
- Policies and fees are subject to change.