College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP exams will not be offered on Friday, December 2nd and Monday, January 30th.
AS OF JULY 1ST, COLLEGE BOARD IS INCREASING THE ONLINE REGISTRATION CLEP FEE TO $90 (NON-REFUNDABLE).
- CLEP exams are not offered during FINALS.
- CLEP exams provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level knowledge for specific undergraduate courses.
- CLEP is designed to assess knowledge gained through accelerated, advanced or honors high school classes, as well as independent study.
- Texas Tech University only accepts the CLEP subject examinations.
- CLEP exams are computer-based and by appointment only. (Several sessions per week are available).
- Seniors must notify their academic dean's office prior to attempting a CLEP exam and provide a letter of notification to Academic Testing Services upon registering for the exam.
You can visit the College Board website for more information.
How to Sign-up & Reserve your CLEP exams at Academic Testing Services:
- Contact the ATS Office by phone (806) 742-3671 or E-mail email@example.com for current availability and fees.
- For more information, please see our CLEP application material.
- Please visit College Board for a video tutorial of the CLEP registration process.
- Visit CLEP at https://clepportal.collegeboard.org/myaccount to set up an account and pay their $89 (non-refundable) Exam Fee (Credit/ Debit Only).When purchasing your CLEP exam, your first and last name must MATCH EXACTLY the name as it appears on your government-issued ID. You will receive a registration ticket. (Save this as a document.)
- Fill out page 2 of the CLEP application material. You'll need to print this page and scan it. (Save this as a document.)
- For seniors, make sure you have your Letter of Notification from your Dean or Advisor. (Save this as a document.)
- Your online registration with College Board does NOT include your appointment at Academic Testing Services. The Registration Fee to Texas Tech University is $49.00 (non-refundable). A payment link will be sent to your email when all necessary documents have been received.
- Due to limited seating, CLEP testing is by appointment only. Arrive for a test session 30 minutes early (test sessions begin at 2:00 PM Monday through Friday and students must arrive by 1:30 PM).
- Photo ID is required (must be official government ID containing both photo and signature).
- CLEP exams will NOT be offered during Texas Tech final exams.
CLEP Application Material:
- Download CLEP application material.
- Sample test questions can be downloaded at www.collegeboard.com.
- Results are based on a scaled score; therefore, one point does not equal one question. The highest score one can receive on a CLEP exam is an 80.
- If taking College Composition Modular or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, there will be an extra fee of $30.00 for the on-campus essay that will be graded by graders in the Texas Tech English Department. This must be scheduled ahead of time and on a different date.
- Please allow 2 hours to complete each testing session. Students are allowed 90 minutes to complete one exam. The additional 30 minutes are required for registration and tutorial.
- If you test with Academic Testing Services, scores will be reported to the Texas Tech Registrar within 5 business days.
- CLEP scores do not affect a student's GPA. Course credit will be placed on a student's transcript for the Texas Tech equivalent course for which credit was earned.
- Policies and fees are subject to change.