Texas Tech University

Open Access Publication Initiative

The Open Access Publication Initiative is funded by the Office of the Vice President for Research. This initiative is intended to increase Texas Tech publications and research found in open access journals as well as promote future collaborations and research advances. The funding available should be used to help authors and colleges/departments defray the cost of open access publication fees.

Many open access journals, but not all, will for a fee make your article free to all who visit the journal's website. Faculty are urged to be wary of "predatory" journals which may contain hidden fees and deliver low-quality publications. Beall's List of Predatory Open Access Publishers 2015 provides a list of predatory journals NOT covered by initiative.

There are several benefits to publication in respected Open Access journals:

  • Decreased time from discovery to publication for more rapid development of scientific discoveries
  • Removes subscription-­‐based limits to access to research results
  • Advanced manuscripts metrics for reporting purposes

Increased readership of articles:

  • Broadens research networks around the globe
  • Raises the visibility of research findings
  • Exposure articles to a broader array of disciplines
  • Increased use of articles in research and the classroom

Criteria for the Texas Tech University Open Access Initiative:

  • One article per senior/corresponding author
  • The OVPR will contribute up to 80% of the publication fee. It is expected that the remaining 20% will be provided by the home department or college of the author(s)
  • A maximum of $2,500 may be provide per manuscript
  • Authors may request funding at the time of submission to the journal (rather than the need to request funding once payment is due)
  • This is a first come, first served initiative until funds are exhausted
  • The manuscript must be published by a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) OR by a publisher that adheres to the OASPA Code of Conduct OR publisher listed on the Directory of Open Access Journals
  • Journals/publishers listed on Beall's List of Predatory Open Access Publishers are not eligible

Published manuscripts must be deposited in the Texas Tech Institutional Repository 


Apply for the award on Competition Space