Environmental Health & Safety
Chemical Waste Submission Closed July 16th-31st
Chemical waste submission and EHS pick up will close on July 16th for the 90 days transfer period. Submission all outstanding chemical waste pick up requests by July 15th.
The request form will reopen on July 29th. EHS pick up schedule will resume on Thursday, August 1st.
Universal, Biological and Radiation Waste will operate normally. Submit questions to email@example.com.
Health Alert : Rabies Case Found & Caught in Lubbock County
A raccoon found and caught in the eastern area of Lubbock county has tested positive for rabies. The last reported case of rabies in Lubbock was in October 2017.
Rabies is a viral illness that can be transmitted to humans through an infected animal's saliva. Lubbock residents are encouraged to take the following precautions:
- Keep rabies vaccinations up to date for all pets.
- Keep your pets under direct supervision so they do not come in contact with wild animals. If your pet is bitten by a wild animal, seek veterinary assistance for the animal immediately.
- Do not handle, feed, or unintentionally attract wild animals with open garbage cans or litter.
- Never adopt wild animals or bring them into your home.
- Teach children never to handle unfamiliar animals, wild or domestic, even if they appear friendly.
- Report the bite to Lubbock Animal Services at 806-775-2057 or 806-775-3357 so the animal may be placed in rabies observation or submitted for rabies testing. Read the full article from the City of Lubbock here>>
For more information on rabies visit the CDC website at: https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/index.html.
Join EHS for our first workshop for Teaching Assistants, teaching lab supervisors and Lab Safety Captains addressing all things emergency response.
The event is August 27th 5:30-7:30PM in the SUB Ballroom. Dinner is provided. We will have door prizes, demonstrations and group activities to foster safety in your teaching labs. Register here>>
Heather was nominated in both the Above & Beyond and Community & Service Leadership categories. Heather is a Lab Safety officer and currently serves on the Texas Tech Staff Senate as the Issues Committee Chair. She has worked to create new outreach and education opportunities for the campus community.
Rebecca was nominated for the Above & Beyond award for her work with the institutional safety committees and improvements to biosafety at Texas Tech. Becky also works as a Lab Safety officer at EHS. She specializes in biosafety and currently serves on the IACUC, IBC and College of Arts & Sciences safety committee. Join us in congratulating them both for being a "Raider Who Rocks"!