A lab clean out is the removal of a large quantity of chemicals or biological materials from the work area. Whether the clean out is to remove materials from previous projects or because the work area is closing or relocating, it is the initial responsibility of the supervisor/PI and work area personnel. The department then becomes responsible if the supervisor and personnel are no longer available.
- PI / lab personnel / departmental representative must submit an online laboratory clean-out evaluation request.
- EHS will schedule a date for the evaluation to meet with PI / lab personnel / departmental representative. During the evaluation, EHS will identify action items required to be completed by lab personnel. Lab personnel must be present during evaluation.
- EHS will customize a Lab Clean-Out Action Plan specific to the waste to be removed from the work area. The Lab Clean-Out Action Plan will be accessible through Raider RAMP under the Inspection Findings section. Individual actions on the Lab Clean-Out Action Plan can be found under Corrective Actions and complete report under Completed Inspections. Reference the RRAMP User Guide for further RRAMP instructions.
- PI / lab personnel / departmental representative must prepare all waste according to the Lab Clean-Out Action Plan and complete the Corrective Actions through RRAMP.
- The clean out will be added to the Waste Pickup Schedule after submission of the appropriate online waste collection request form and completion of FINAL ACTION to input the waste request number into the Clean Out Action Plan.
Lab Clean Outs often involve hundreds of containers, so give your team ample time to complete the Action Plan items identified. Send questions about the process to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be advised, EHS reserves the right to deny or delay the waste collection for the laboratory clean-out if all actions as described in the Lab Clean-Out Action Plan have not been completed.
Equipment to be removed from the work area for relocation to another area or for disposal require appropriate decontamination by the supervisor (or department) and clearance from EHS before removal by TTU Surplus. Affix the completed Equipment Decontamination Form after cleaning and complete the Equipment Clearance Request Form.