Texas Tech University

Controlled Substances

In order to obtain controlled substances, the purchaser must obtain a registration with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). This applies both to researchers and medical practitioners. This registration is an agreement between the individual and the DEA and comes with provisional requirements of the end user in order to remain in effect. The DEA reserves the right to audit and inspect the end user's registration, storage and use of controlled substances at anytime.

For more information about obtaining a DEA registration please visit https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugreg/index.html.

Environmental Health and Safety does not need to be notified of a new registration but we do maintain the capability to properly dispose of controlled substances. Contact ehs.environmental.safety@ttu.edu to request disposal of controlled substances. 


DEA Controlled Substance List

MOU between the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board