Texas Tech University Fulbright Information
The Fulbright U.S. Student Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, is now the largest U.S. exchange program offering opportunities for students and young professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools worldwide.
The information page for TTU students that are interested in applying for a student Fulbright program is located at:
The TTU Student Fulbright Program Advisers are
- Mrs. Wendoli Flores, Director, National and International Scholarships & Fellowships
- Dr. Tim Dallas, Associate Dean, The Graduate School
Each year the Fulbright Program awards approximately 1,200 U.S. scholars awards, in addition to several hundred teachers and professionals. Over the years many TTU faculty, researchers, and staff have received awards. Information/external links for TTU faculty, staff and and researchers that wish to apply for one of these Fulbright awards can be found on a web page under the Office of the Vice President for Research:
For incoming students at TTU, the point of contact is the administrator over the Sponsored Student Program at TTU.
This office serves all of the incoming and current international sponsored students on campus, including all of the Fulbright program students.
International scholars and their current/prospective hosting faculty members at TTU can contact the International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS). The ISSS point of contact for faculty hosts and incoming/prospective Fulbright Scholars is:
- Richard Porter, Ed.D., Senior Director, International Student and Scholar Services
The first thing a prospective Fulbright scholar must do is connect with a TTU faculty member. The TTU faculty member must agree to serve as the Fulbright Scholar's host at TTU. After the TTU faculty member commits to serve as the host, Richard will sign the Fulbright paperwork on behalf of TTU, along with the TTU Faculty host.
Faculty hosts, however, can refer to the International Faculty and Scholar Resources page created by ISSS and/or refer the Fulbright Scholar to this information to assist the scholar in their transition to life in Lubbock and work at TTU.
Please note: Fulbright scholars do not participate in these programs at TTU with immigration documents provided by ISSS. The Fulbright agency issues the J-1 immigration document (DS-2019) for these scholars and provides an orientation prior to their arrival at TTU to participate in the program under a TTU faculty host.
Fulbright Scholar Liaisons are part of a network of approximately 1,700 committed individuals across the United States. Fulbright Liaisons do not perform administrative functions for Fulbright awardees or help with Fulbright applications. Instead, Fulbright Liaisons promote the Fulbright program at TTU through services such as:
- Inspiring colleagues by organizing a Fulbright Day on campus for faculty and administrators.
- Requesting a campus visit from a Fulbright team member.
- Sharing the Fulbright calendar of events with colleagues for upcoming workshops and talks by Fulbright Scholar Program Alumni Ambassadors, Outreach Lecturing Fund recipients, and team members.
- Raising TTU's profile by encouraging participation through programs like the Outreach Lecturing Fund and Scholar-in-Residence programs.
- Highlighting TTU's Fulbright students and scholars by organizing a Fulbright Alumni reception at TTU and publicizing the names of administrators and faculty who have received grants.
- Staying informed through personal, monthly email updates and sharing opportunities and upcoming program initiatives with TTU colleagues through campus publications and listservs
There are currently two Fulbright Liasons at TTU:
- Dr. Patricia R. DeLucia, Associate Vice President for Research, Faculty Affairs.
- Dr. Gad Perry, Senior Director, Division of International Research
A Fulbright Administrator is a designated TTU employee. These persons are involved with incoming Fulbright students, scholars, and their hosting departments (individuals outside the US that have been awarded Fulbright scholarships to come to the US). Fulbright maintains a list of these Fulbright Administrators at TTU.
For incoming Fulbright students the Fulbright Administrator at TTU is:
- Alexa Smith, Assistant Director, International Enrollment Development
For incoming Fulbright Scholars (researchers and faculty), the Fulbright Administrator at TTU is:
- Richard Porter, Ed.D., Director of International Student and Scholar Services
When faculty at TTU are approached by a scholar that has been awarded a Fulbright, Richard is the point of contact for that TTU faculty member.
Please note: The Fulbright agency will issue the immigration document for the scholar and provide an orientation prior to their arrival at TTU to participate in their academic program.