Red Raider #1 / CAPRO (Center for Advanced Production Research Operations)
Red Raider No. 1, drilled to a depth of 4120 feet, is the largest test well on university property in the United States. The test well is operated under Texas Tech's Center of Advanced Production Research Operations (CAPRO), and is located on a 8.72 acre tract of TTU property near East Loop 289 in Lubbock, Texas. The Bob L. Herd Department of Petroleum Engineering continues to secure corporate donations for the required surface production equipment.
Red Raider No. 1 at a Glance
- Largest Educational Production Facility in the nation
- Capable of testing all forms of artificial lift installations
- Horizontal well productivity and offshore technologies for future development
- Provide faculty with a location for training undergraduate students in oil field operations
- Integrate facilities into the Natural Gas and Production Engineering Laboratory Curriculum
- Provide Texas Tech University with a research facility for full-scale testing and development of oil and gas production technologies.
Point of Contact
Lloyd R. Heinze, Ph.D., P.E.
Bob L. Herd Department of Petroleum Engineering