Vision, Mission, & Strategic Priorities
We believe a top tier institution should be the preeminent undergraduate choice for pre-professional health careers students in their region and a model of excellence and innovation that field.
Through superior academic advising and support, Pre-Professional Health Careers partners with students as they pursue academic, personal, and career success.
Increase Enrollment & Promote Student Success
- Implement recruitment campaign to increase application quantity and quality, conversion rates, and diversity of incoming student populations.
- Monitor and report on incoming student populations to inform programmatic decision-making.
- Identify and develop reliable measures for reporting student retention and major change patterns.
- Design, implement, and adjust retention efforts, particularly those that can be augmented by technology tools.
- Improve retention of students who are not successfully admitted professional healthcare programs.
- Implement pre-professional health careers student outcomes for all strategies, identifying appropriate assessment points and multiple measures.
- Support student major exploration and selection processes via 45-credit hour policy and semester-by-semester curricula.
- Develop accurate measures for and take steps to improve student success metrics (including but not limited to degree completion, admission to health programs, financial support, professional outcomes, and engagement).
Strengthen Academic Quality & Reputation
Advisors & Advising
- Create advisor transition strategy in alignment with strategic priorities.
- Deploy consistent and comprehensive advisor performance and advising effectiveness assessments.
- Leverage resources to recognize, compensate, and retain high-performing advisors.
- Establish culture of professional activity.
- Support and promote faculty teaching, scholarship, and professional excellence efforts and measures.
Students & Programs
- Increase awareness of opportunities in undergraduate research, service learning, studies abroad, etc.
- Work with students, groups, and partners to celebrate and promote student success.
Expand & Enhance Research & Creative Scholarship
- Put in place workflow and evaluation structures that supports professional activity.
- Incentivize submission of proposals, presentations, publishing, service, leadership, and research with relevant professional organizations.
- Research effects of professional activity on desired student outcomes.
- Report on investment in professional activity annually.
- Explore scholarship and research partnerships both on and off-campus.
Further Outreach & Engagement
- Increase student, staff, and faculty participation in outreach and engagement activities.
- Demonstrate connections between outreach and engagement participation with traditional measures of success.
- Encourage, support, and recognize pursuit of related awards.
- Establish a shared understanding of outreach and engagement that emphasizes community and collaboration.
- Prioritize advantageous partnerships where good-fit pathways already exist when considering new activities.
- Develop unified and standardized channels of communication, both internal and external, that highlight outreach and engagement activities.
Increase & Maximize Resources
Budget Model & Process
- Design practices and policies to allow for growth but that are geared for efficiency, sustainability, and excellence in strategic priorities.
- Develop benchmarks and strategic goals for key measures (including but not limited to SCH generation, administrative cost/operating budget, and operating cost/FTE enrollment).
- Prepare and distribute term and annual financial reports.
Career Development & Supportive Work Environment
- Explore career development tracking and development, merit pay and recognition options, and professional progression.
- Establish a culture supportive of personal and family needs without sacrificing performance or policy compliance and actively monitor.
Infrastructure & Resources
- Design practices and policies for effective and efficient use of space, equipment, and materials.
- Partner with relevant campus entities to ensure compliance and build for excellence.
PLEASE NOTE: As Texas Tech University approaches the celebration of the centennial of our establishment (2023) and first year of enrollment (2025), developing a "new century" strategic plan to guide the University at the beginning of the next 100 years will be a critical step. To this end, a new century strategic planning committee has been formed and, during the Fall 2016 semester, will develop a plan that will shape our path as we continue to pursue our efforts to be a university of global impact. It is anticipated that this new strategic plan will influence the strategic priorities you see listed above. Check back in 2017 for updates. (rds, 09/16/16)