Definition of Community Engagement
Community Engagement describes the collaboration between institutions of higher education and their larger communities (local, regional/state, national, global) for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources in a context of partnership and reciprocity.
The purpose of community engagement is the partnership of university knowledge with those of the public and private sectors to
- enrich scholarship, research, and creative activity;
- enhance curriculum, teaching and learning;
- prepare educated, engaged citizens;
- strengthen democratic values and civic responsibility;
- address critical societal issues;
- and enhance the quality of life.
(Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 2005).
Texas Tech University has adopted the Carnegie Foundation's Definition of Community Engagement.