GST Holds & Advising Appointments
If you have a GST departmental hold, you are a General Studies (GST) student. We typically only require graduating seniors to complete academic advising before registering for their final term. We encourage all students to make advising appointments if they have questions or concerns. Please read below for information on how to request an appointment and important reminders.
- Online students are not required to meet face-to-face for advising. When scheduling an appointment, you must include your phone number in the comments section so that I know you need a phone appointment.
Holden Hall 102
Holden Hall 102
Offices located in HH 102, A&S Dean's Office, Student Division.
Current General Studies Students
If you are currently a General Studies student, follow these steps:
- Log in at https://strive.ttu.edu.
- Go to - A&S General Studies and PLAW Advising – If you experience any problems accessing the Strive website or our advising page, please email your correct advisor based on your last name.
- Find your Advisor and click on their name
- Click the BLUE schedule appointment button
- Under What do you need help with?
- Click on the drop-down arrow to the right of College Advising
- Choose the reason for your appointment: Planning and Course Approval OR Change My Schedule/Get Registration Help. Then, click the blue CONTINUE button.
- Choose the date and time for your advising appointment. After you select the date/time for your appointment, click on the blue CONTINUE button.
- Choose the LOCATION for your appointment. There may not always be multiple location options - varies by advisor.
- If you have any comments or questions, please include them in the comments section of the appointment request. Click the blue CONFIRM button.
If your appointment was successfully scheduled, you should receive a confirmation page and a confirmation email in your TTU email inbox.
If you are requesting a phone appointment, please include your phone number in the comments section when scheduling an appointment.
Changing your major to General Studies?
Please carefully read the appointment reminders below before scheduling an appointment!
If you are not currently a General Studies Major but are an active (enrolled) student at TTU, please email an advisor to request an appointment invitation. Contact a General Studies Advisor. The subject of your email should be "Major Change" to ensure a quick response.
If you are not currently a General Studies Major AND are not an active (enrolled) student at TTU, please email an advisor to schedule an appointment. Contact a General Studies Advisor. The subject of your email should be "Major Change" to ensure a quick response.
Please arrive to your scheduled appointment 15 minutes early in order to check in with the front desk. Students who arrive more than 5 minutes late must reschedule their appointment.
Advising sheets are encouraged but not required.
Students may use the appropriate course planning sheet available below to plan their upcoming semester(s):
Other planning sheets, including those from other colleges (if you plan to change majors) and Visual Schedule Builder print-outs, will be accepted.
If you are unable to print the planning sheet, you may complete it on your computer in advance and email it to your advisor on or before the day of your appointment.
It is okay to make mistakes. It's also okay if you don't know exactly what you want to take next semester. You are not "locked in" to what you write on your sheet. I just want you to be making an effort to plan ahead. Even if you aren't sure, plan ahead to the best of your ability, and we'll discuss your course selection during your appointment to make sure you're on track.
Student Athletes should first meet with their academic advisor about the upcoming semester (remember to bring your athletics advising form!), then meet with their athletic counselor.
During your appointment we will review your remaining requirements and course selections, make any needed changes, and I may offer suggestions. I also encourage you to come prepared with any questions you have. Students are responsible for building a schedule (specific times/days for scheduling) and registering for courses on their own time, and will not be permitted to do so during an advising appointment.
Thank you for reading the appointment reminders!