Kelly Cukrowicz, Ph.D.
Honors and Awards
2008-2011 - Research Division Chair, American Association of Suicidology
2008 - NIMH Sponsored Summer Research Institute on Geriatric Psychiatry
2007 - NIMH Sponsored Summer Research Institute on Suicide Prevention
2007 - 2009 - National Institutes of Health, Clinical Loan Repayment Program Award
- My research aims broadly to advance our understanding of suicide in older adults. I am primarily interested in understanding why older adults Caucasian males commit suicide at such a high rate compared to those in other groups. Specifically, I am interested in the interpersonal and emotional characteristics that confer risk for suicide in this population. My ultimate goal in understanding the processes at work in depression and suicide in older adults is to develop improved preventive and treatment methods for these problems.
- I am interested in the treatment of mood disorders, self injury and suicidal behavior, anxiety disorders, and older individuals. I utilize primarily cognitive behavior therapy and other empirically supported treatments in my clinical work and supervision.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Young Investigator Grant- "Interpersonal Vulnerability in Older Caucasian Males: An Examination of The Role of Perceived Burdensomeness"
- Cukrowicz, K. C., Smith, P. N. *, & Schlegel, E. F. * (2009). Managing Suicidality. In J. Thomas & M. Hersen (Eds.) Handbook of Clinical Psychology Competencies. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Rudd, M. D., Cukrowicz, K. C., & Bryan, C. J. (2008). Core competencies in suicide risk assessment and management: Implications for supervision. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 2(4), 219.
- Cukrowicz, K. C., Duberstein, P. R., Vannoy, S. D., Lynch, T. R., McQuoid, D. R., & Steffens, D. C. (2009). Course of suicide ideation and predictors of change in depressed older adults. Journal of affective disorders, 113(1), 30-36.
- Cukrowicz, K. C., Ekblad, A., Cheavens, J.S., & Lynch, T. R. (2008). Coping and thought suppression as predictors of suicidal ideation in depressed older adults with personality disorders. Aging & Mental Health, 12, 149-157.25.
- Cukrowicz, K. C., Thorpe, S. R., Franzese, A. T., Cheavens, J. S., & Lynch, T. R. (2008). Personality factors and perceived social support among depressed older adults. Aging & Mental Health, 12, 665-672.
- VanderVeen, J.*, Cohen, L. M., Cukrowicz, K. C., and Trotter, D. R. M*. (2008). The Role of Impulsivity on Smoking Maintenance. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 10, 1397-1404.
- Vannoy, S., Duberstein, P. Cukrowicz, K. C., & Lin, E. (2007). The relationship between suicidal ideation and late life depression. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 15, 1024-1033.
- Cukrowicz, K. C. & Joiner, T.E., Jr.(2007). Computer-Based Intervention of anxious and depressive symptoms in a non-clinical population. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 31, 677-693.
- Lynch, T. R., Cheavens, J. S., Cukrowicz, K. C., Thorp, S., Beyer, J., & Bronner, L. (2007). Treatment of older adults with comorbid personality disorder and depression: A dialectical behavior therapy approach. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 22, 131-143.
- Stanley, S., Reitzel, L., Wingate, L., Cukrowicz, K. C., Lima, E., & Joiner, T. (2006). Mindfulness: A primrose path for therapists using manualized treatments. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 20, 327-335.
- Advanced Clinical Practicum
- Introduction to Clinical Psychology
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Abnormal Psychology
AddressTexas Tech University, Department of Psychological Sciences, Box 42051 Lubbock, TX 79409-2051