Shin Ye Kim, Ph.D.
Phone: (806) 834-4304
My research program examines the intersections of gender, culture, health, and psychological
well-being in both domestic and international populations, with a specific interest
in work and career. Current research topics are work-family interface from a men and
masculinity perspective, efficacy of multicultural counseling, and psychological intervention
for chronic pain. My clinical interests include health psychology (especially chronic
pain management and consultation liaison psychiatry), psychiatric emergency and psychodynamic
- Intersections of culture, work-family and health;
- Psychosocial and cultural factors in chronic pain management;
- Application of mindfulness in work, culture-related stress and psychosomatic issues;
- Multicultural and vocational psychology
- Men and masculinity
PUBLICATIONS - PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
*Indicates a graduate student mentee.
- Kim, S. Y., Shigemoto, Y., & *Neduvelil, A. (2019). Survive or Thrive? Longitudinal Relation Between Chronic Pain and Well-Being. International journal of behavioral medicine, 1-13.
- *Daheim, J., Kim, S. Y., Neduvelil, A., & Nguyen, N. (in press). Men, chronic pain, and prescription pain medication use: The of gender role beliefs in a longitudinal moderated mediation model. Pain Medicine. doi: 10.1093/pm/pnz200
- Kim, S. Y., Lee, J., Wester, S., & Fouad, N.A. (in-press). Working men's perception of self and others' well-being relating to work-family positive spillover and masculine norms: A latent profile approach. Psychology of Men and Masculinity.
- Nam, J.S., & Kim, S. Y. (2019). Decent Work Scale-Korea Form: Psychometric Characteristics and Validity. Journal of Vocational Behavior. doi: 10.1016/j.jvb.2019.05.006
- *Boone, D., & Kim, S. Y. (2019). Family Strain, Depression, and Somatic Amplification in Adults with Chronic Pain. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 1-10.
- Kim, S. Y., Velez, B. L., *Daheim, J., & Lei, N (2018). Validation of the Work Family Conflict Scale for Sexual Minority Employees. Journal of Career Assessment, 1-16. doi: 10.1177/1069072718788329
- Kim, S. Y., Fouad, N.A, & Lee, J.(2018). The roles of work and family in men's lives: Testing the social cognitive model of career self-management. Journal Vocational Behavior, 106, 153-164. doi: 10.1016/j.jvb.2018.01.008
- Fouad, N., Ghosh, A., Santana, M., Kim, S. Y., Young, G., & Oplet, B. (2017). First to Second Year of College Persistence: A Review and Recommendations. Proceedings of the National Symposium on Student Retention.
- Kim, S. Y., Fouad, N., Maeda, H., Xie, H., Nazan, N. (2017) Mid-life Work and Psychological Well-being: A Test of the Psychology of Working Theory. Journal of Career Assessment, 1-12. doi: 10.1177/1069072717714538
- Kim, S. Y., Ahn, T.Y., & Fouad, N.A. (2016). Family Influence on Korean Students' Career Decisions: A Social Cognitive Perspective. Journal of Career Assessment, 1-14. doi: 10.1177/1069072715599403
- Fouad, N.A., Kim, S. Y., Ghosh, A., Chang,W., & Figueiredo, C. (2015) Family Influence on Career Decision Making: Validation in India and the US. Journal of Career Assessment. doi: 10.1177/1069072714565782
- Ahn, T., & Kim, S. Y. (2013). The structural relationship between career decision-making self-efficacy, career indecision, career preparation behavior, career satisfaction, and life satisfaction: Centering around college students in Busan. The Journal of Vocational Education Research, 32, 6.
MANUSCRIPTS UNDER REVISION AND UNDER REVIEW
- Kim, S. Y., Suh, H., Oh,W., *Daheim, J. (Revise and Resubmit). Daily Change Patterns in Mindfulness and Psychological Health: A Pilot Intervention.
- Kim, S. Y., Santana, M., & *Daheim, J. (Revise and Resubmit) Career development of male counseling psychology doctoral students: A qualitative analysis.
- *Nguyen, N., Kim, S. Y., Daheim, J., & Neduvelil, A., (Revise and Resubmit). Prescription Pain Medication Usage among Midlife and Older Adults with Chronic Pain: The Roles of Generativity and Family Support.
- Xie, H., Kim, S. Y., & Canales, B. (Under Review). Differential Effects of Family and Friend Support in Sexual Minority Aging Adults.
- Kim, S. Y., Lee, J., & *Boone, D. (Under Review). Chronic Pain Co-morbidity Patterns and the roles of health care visits and social support: a profile approach.
- Kim, S. Y., Xie, H, Suh, H., *Neduvelil, A., & Quinn, B. (Under Review). Racial Differences in Associations of Trait Mindfulness, Perceived Discrimination and Well-Being.
- Kim, S.Y., Shigemoto, Y., Neduvelil, A., & Grzywacz, J. (Under Review). Longitudinal Stability of Work-Family Enrichment Over and Above Well-Being and Personality Traits.
- *Daheim, J.& Kim, S. Y. (Under Review). Men, Chronic Pain, and Risk of Opioid Abuse: The Role of Conformity to Masculine Norms.
- Suh, H., Kim, S. Y., & McCabe, E. A. (under review). Profiles of mindfulness and difficulties in emotion regulation and links to work-family-school conflict.
- Kim, J.H., Kim, S. Y., Gonzalez, R., *Nguyen, N., McMahon, B., & Sametz, R. (under review). Virtue-Based Psychosocial Adaptation to Chronic Illness and Disability.
- *Manzo, G., Piña-Watson, B., & Kim, S. Y. (under review). Minority Status Stress and Academic Outcomes Among Ethnic Minority College Students: Anxiety and Quality Of Life As Mediating Mechanisms.
- Kim, H., Kim, S. Y., *Nguyen, N., & Duffy, R (under review). Validity of a Psychology of Working Theory in Undergraduates: A Cross-Cultural Comparison of the U.S. and Korean Samples.
- Velez, B., Kim, S. Y., Cox, R., Manosalvas, J., Daheim, J. (under review). A Comprehensive Test of the Integrative Mediation Model of Minority Stress with Sexual Minority Adults.
I am accepting graduate students for Fall 2020.
AddressTexas Tech University, Department of Psychological Sciences, Box 42051 Lubbock, TX 79409-2051