Shin Ye Kim, Ph.D.
Phone: (806) 834-4304
My research program examines the intersections of gender, culture, health, and psychological
well-being in both domestic and international populations, with a specific interest
in work and career. Current research topics are work-family interface from a men and
masculinity perspective, efficacy of multicultural counseling, and psychological intervention
for chronic pain. My clinical interests include health psychology (especially chronic
pain management and consultation liaison psychiatry), psychiatric emergency and psychodynamic
- Intersections of culture, work-family and health;
- Psychosocial and cultural factors in chronic pain management;
- Application of mindfulness in work, culture-related stress and psychosomatic issues;
- Multicultural and vocational psychology
- Men and masculinity
- Kim, S. Y., Neduvelil, A., Shigemoto, Y., & Hamilton, N. (manuscript in preparation). Chronic Pain Symptoms and Well-Being in Midlife: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Study of Health and Well-Being.
- Kim, S.Y., Lee, J, Prasad, R., & Boone, D. (manuscript in preparation). Chronic pain comorbidity patterns and the roles of healthcare visits and social support: A profile approach.
- Kim, S. Y., Fouad, N.A, & Lee, J.(under review). The roles of work and family in men's lives: Testing the social cognitive model of career self-management.
- Kim, S. Y., Lee, J., & Fouad, N.A. (under review). Working men's perception of self and others' well-being relating to work-family positive spillover and masculine norms: A latent profile approach.
- Kim, S. Y., Fouad, N., Maeda, H., Xie, H., Nazan, N. (2017) Mid-life Work and Psychological Well-being: A Test of the Psychology of Working Theory. Journal of Career Assessment. 1-12. doi: 10.1177/1069072717714538
- Fouad, N., Ghosh, A., Santana, M., Kim, S. Y., Young, G., & Oplet, B. (2017). First to Second Year of College Persistence: A Review and Recommendations. Proceedings of the National Symposium on Student Retention.
- Kim, S. Y., Ahn, T.Y., & Fouad, N.A. (2016). Family Influence on Korean Students' Career Decisions: A Social Cognitive Perspective. Journal of Career Assessment. 1-14. doi: 10.1177/1069072715599403
- Fouad, N.A., Kim, S.Y., Ghosh, A., Chang,W., & Figueiredo, C. (2015) Family Influence on Career Decision Making: Validation in India and the US. Journal of Career Assessment. doi: 10.1177/1069072714565782
- Ahn, T., & Kim, S.Y. (2013). The structural relationship between career decision-making self-efficacy, career indecision, career preparation behavior, career satisfaction, and life satisfaction: Centering around college students in Busan. The Journal of Vocational Education Research 1-22, 32, 6.
- Beatrice, J., Graling, K., Hall, K., Kim, S.Y., Lustig, K., Moebus, P., & Plocha (2013). In S. Lamb, Sex Ed for Caring Schools: Creating an Ethics-Based Curriculum (chapters 5 & 6). New York: Teachers College Press
I am accepting graduate students for Fall 2018.
AddressTexas Tech University, Department of Psychological Sciences, Box 42051 Lubbock, TX 79409-2051