Associate Dean for Graduate Studies
- Native West Texan who enjoys time with wife and two daughters, bird dogs, time spent outdoors, woodworking, gardening, and old Jeeps.
- Investigation of Message and Source Factors Influencing the Effects of Persuasive Messages and Recall of Information
- Dr. Callison has published more than 30 refereed publications in journals such as Media Psychology, Communication Research, Journal of Communication, and Journal of Public Relations Research to name a few. He has also presented more than 60 peer-reviewed papers at academic conferences both domestic and abroad.
Main Methodological Approaches
- Ph.D., University of Alabama, Communication and Information Sciences, Media Effects
- M.A., University of Alabama, Advertising/Public Relations
- B.A., Southwest Texas State University, Public Relations
Recent Graduate Courses Taught
- Experimental Research
- Data Analysis
- Research Methods
- Advanced Theories
- Public Opinion and Propaganda
- Alvarado, G., & Callison, C. (in press). How incentives affect web-based survey response rates of athletic program donors. International Journal of Revenue Management.
- Callison, C., Gibson, R., & Zillmann, D. (2013). Effects of differences in numeric ability on the perception of adversity risk to others and self. Journal of Media Psychology, 2 95-104.
- Baksh-Mohammed, S., & Callison, C. (in press). Hey Ya…Shake it Like a Polaroid Picture: Evolution of product mention in music across the millennium's first decade. Journal of Promotion Management.
- Baksh-Mohammed, S., Callison, C., & Choi, M. (2012). Positive influence of organizational charitable involvement on perceptions of credibility and purchase intention. Public Relations Review, 38, 498-500.
- Seltzer, T. Gardner, E., Bichard, S., & Callison, C. (2012). PR in the ER: Managing internal organization-public relationships in a hospital emergency department. Public Relations Review, 38, 128-136.
- Callison, C., Gibson, R., & Zillmann, D. (2012). Human face in news important but base-rate date inform more. Newspaper Research Journal, 33 (2), 54-67.
- Devlin, M. B., Chambers, L. T., & Callison, C. (2011). Targeting mood: Using comedy or serious movie trailers. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, 55, 581-595.
- Kolyesnikova N., Sullivan Dodd, S. L., & Callison, C. (2011). Consumer affective responses to direct mail messages: The effect of gratitude and obligation. Journal of Marketing Communications, 17, 337-353.
- Gibson, R., Callison, C., & Zillmann, D. (2011). Quantitative literacy and affective reactivity in processing statistical information and case histories in the news. Media Psychology, 14, 96-120.
- Callison, C., & Seltzer, T. C. (2010). Influence of responsiveness, accessibility, and professionalism on journalists’ perceptions of Southwest Airlines public relations. Public Relations Review, 36, 141-146.
- Zillmann, D. Callison, C., & Gibson, R. (2009). Quantitative media literacy: Individual differences in dealing with numbers in the news. Media Psychology, 12, 394–416.
- Callison, C., Gibson, R., & Zillmann, D. (2009). How to report quantitative information in news stories. Newspaper Research Journal, 30 (2), 43-55.
- Alvarado, G., & Callison, C. (2009). GSP testing as a student screener in colleges of mass communication: Investigating its predictors and its ability to predict. Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, 63, 333-344.
- Kinsky, E., & Callison, C. (2009). PR in the news: How a sample of network newscasts framed public relations. Public Relations Journal, 3 (1).
- Laveay, F., Callison, C., & Rodriguez, A. (2009). Offensiveness of Native American names, mascots and logos in sports: A survey of American Indian tribal leaders and the general population. International Journal of Sport Communication, 2, 81-99.
- Potter, R.F, Callison, C., Chambers, T., & Edison, A. (2008). Radio’s clutter conundrum: Better memory for ads, worse attitudes toward stations. International Journal of Media Management.
- Sinaga, S., & Callison, C. (2008). Credibility of PR practitioners: The impact of professional journalism background on trustworthiness, expertness, and homophily evaluations. Public Relations Review, 34, 291-293.
- Will, E. M., & Callison, C. (2006). Web presence of universities: Is higher education sending the right message online? Public Relations Review, 32, 180-183.
- Chambers, T., Callison, C., & Bichard, S. (2005). Crossing platforms: Transferring media dependency from traditional media to the Internet. Southwestern Mass Communication Journal, 21, 13-23.
- Knobloch, S., Callison, C., Chen, L., Fritzsche, A., & Zillmann, D. (2005). Children's gender-stereotyped self-socialization through selective exposure to entertainment fare: Cross-cultural experiments in Germany, China, and the United States. Journal of Communication, 55, 122-138.
- Callison, C. (2004). The good, the bad and the ugly: Perceptions of public relations practitioners. Journal of Public Relations Research, 16, 371-389.
- Zillmann, D., Chen, L., Knobloch, S., & Callison, C. (2004). Effects of lead framing on selective exposure to Internet news reports. Communication Research, 31, 58-81.
- Potter, R.F., Edison, A., Callison, C. & Chambers, T. (2003). The effects of increasing commercial breaks on attention, arousal, attitudes, and memory for information in radio ads. Psychophysiology, 40 (S1) , 69.
- Knobloch, S., Hastall, M., Zillmann, D., & Callison, C. (2003). Imagery effects on the selective reading of Internet newsmagazines: A cross-cultural examination. Communication Research, 30, 3-30.
- Callison, C. (2003). Media relations and the Internet: How Fortune 500 company websites assist journalists in news gathering. Public Relations Review, 29, 29-41.
- Callison, C., Karrh, J. A., & Zillmann, D. (2002). The aura of tobacco smoke: Cigars and cigarettes as image makers. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 32, 1329-1343.
- Callison, C., & Zillmann, D. (2002). Company affiliation and communicative ability: How perceived organizational ties influence source persuasiveness in a company-negative news environment. Journal of Public Relations Research, 14, 85-102.
- Yu, H., & Callison, C. (2002). Web journalism practices in different cultural lands: A comparison of structural features on U.S. and Korean web newspapers. Sungkok Journalism Review, 12, 31-58.
- Potter, R. F., Yu, H., & Callison, C. (2002). Structural features and interactivity on the most- visited web sites compared to the Web in general. Southwestern Mass Communication Journal, 18, 48-57.
- Karrh, J. A., Frith, K. T., & Callison, C. (2001). Audience attitudes toward brand (product) placement: Singapore and the United States. International Journal of Advertising, 20, 3-24.
- Callison, C. (2001). Do PR practitioners have a PR problem?: The effect of associating a source with public relations and client-negative news on audience perception of credibility. Journal of Public Relations Research, 13, 219-234.
- Potter, R. F., & Callison, C. (2000). Sounds exciting!!: The effects of auditory complexity on listeners’ attitudes and memory for radio promotional announcements. Journal of Radio Studies, 7, 29-51.