- I grew up in a small Ohio town with three sisters, a brother, Mom, and Dad. I love running, cross-country skiing, swimming, racquetball, cooking, eating, reading, and have a borderline-unhealthy obsession with college football and movies (especially classic “monster movies” from the 1950s and 1960s). I love steak, summer, and happiness, but I cannot stand clichés, intolerant people, moral hypocrites, and when people say “Daylight SavingS Time.”
- Study of portrayals of race in media, focusing on the framing of Latino/a immigration in the news
Main Methodological Approaches
- Content Analysis
- In-Depth Interviews
- Ph.D., University of Iowa, Mass Communication
- M.A., University of Texas at Austin, Journalism
- B.A., Otterbein College, Journalism, History
Recent Graduate Courses Taught
- Multi-platform News Delivery
- Broadcast Journalism
- News Writing
- Convergent Journalism
Publications in Last 5 Years
- Grimm, J. (2009). “Teach the controversy”: The relationship between sources and frames in reporting the intelligent design debate. Science Communication. In press.
- Grimm, J. (2009). Creationism. In S.H. Priest (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Communication. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. In press.