Connect. Compare. Critique. Create. Collaborate. Communicate.
The Advertising program in the College of Media & Communication develops leaders in advertising communications. Our students gain an understanding of the creative and business-related aspects of advertising, including copywriting, sales, graphic production, creative strategy and media planning. We also host industry professionals who speak to students about internships and careers in advertising.
In The News
- Olan Farnall, Ph.D., recently conducted research that showed the number of commercials featuring people with disabilities has increased in recent years but still does not represent the size of the disabled population. He plans to expand on his research in the future by utilizing the college's eye tracking technology. Read more
- The Texas Tech Ad Team (Bullet Advertising) won first place in the 2014 American Advertising Federation National Student Advertising Competition for District 10. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Alan Abitbol and Mary E. Brooks! They were both awarded a 2014 Helen DeVitt Jones Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award!
The Graduate School will provide each awardee with a certificate and a $500.00 Honorarium.
- The American Advertising Awards competition was held this past weekend. Congratulations to the following who won Addy awards:
- Advertising student Camille Haider and Communication Design student Clara Vaughn won a Student Bronze Addy in the local level American Advertising Awards for their rack card/poster design developed for the Department of Advertising at Texas Tech.
- The 2013 National Student Advertising Competition Team won a Student Gold Addy in the local level American Advertising Awards for their television commercial 'Color with Character' developed for Glidden. The team also won a Student Silver Addy in the local level American Advertising Awards for their integrated campaign developed for Glidden.
- Advertising student Olivia Utley won a Student Silver Addy for her 'Mocking Dead Installation Campaign'.
- Autumn Shafer, Ph.D., was invited to present information on HPV vaccination campaigns at MD Anderson Center's annual HPV and Cervical Cancer Summit on January 22, 2014. Shafer's presentation was titled "HPV Vaccine Campaigns Targeting Mothers of Adolescent Girls." - See more here.
- Autumn Shafer and Rebecca Ortiz had their abstract titled, "Assessing the Feasibility of Clinicians Communicating Via Social Media and Text Messaging With Adolescents about HPV Vaccination" accepted for presentation at the 2014 Pediatric Academic Societies and Asian Society for Pediatric Research Joint Meeting in Vancouver, BC, Canada from May 3-6, 2014. Ortiz and Shafer are first and second authors, respectively, in collaboration with colleagues from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Shannon Bichard, Ph.D.
- Erik Bucy, Ph.D.
- Olan Farnall, Ph.D.
- Rebecca Ortiz, Ph.D.
- Melanie Sarge, Ph.D.
- Melissa Gotlieb, Ph.D.
- Kent Lowry, ABD
- Ann Rodriguez, J.D.
- James Hodgins
- Beverly McBeath
- Dawn Zuerker
- The Texas Tech Ad Team (Bullet Advertising) places third at the 2014 national competition
- Advertising Team wins 2014 Student GOLD ADDY in local level American Advertising Awards for television commercial 'Color with Character' developed for Glidden
- Advertising Team Wins 2012 Lone Star Emmy Award
- Clif Bar Internship Recap