Communication Studies Interests
- Health, Crisis and Organizational Communication
Current Professional Activity
- Board member, American Communication Association
- Editorial Board member, Communication Research Reports
Recent Honors and Awards
- Top Paper Panel, Interpersonal Communication division (co-authored with Patrick Hughes), Southern States Communication Association Annual Convention, Little Rock, AR (March)
- Faculty Participant, Institute for Inclusive Excellence, series of workshops sponsored by the Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement (Spring).
Recent Scholarly Activity
- Scholl, J. C. (accepted for publication). Persuasive elements of health and wellness. In S. Wahl (Ed.), Persuasion in our life. Pearson.
- Scholl, J. C. (accepted for publication). Dealing with an emotional tyrant. In J. Wrench (Ed.), Case Studies in Organizational Communication. Kendall-Hunt.
- Scholl, J. C, Wilson, J. B., & Hughes, P. C. (2011). Expression of Patients’ and Providers’ Identities during the Medical Interview. Qualitative Health Research.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Warren, H. N., Hughes, P. C., & Scholl, J. C. (March 2011). Emerging adults’ attachment styles, perceptions of communication satisfaction, parental knowledge and parental prevention strategies effects on emerging adults’ alcohol use. Competitive paper presented at the Top Interpersonal Communication division of the Southern States Communication Association annual convention. Little Rock, AR.
- Scholl, J.C. (October 2010). Roundtable discussion on accreditation. American Communication Association annual conference. Millikin University, IL.
- Heuman, A., Scholl, J. C., & Wilkinson, K. (April 2010). Emergent themes from focus groups on Hispanics’ diet and exercise decision making with regard to diabetes. Competitive paper presented to the Central States Communication Association annual convention, Cincinnati, OH.
- Liu, H., & Scholl, J. C. (March 2010). The health self-efficacy of university students seeking health care. Competitive paper presented to the annual meeting of the Western States Communication Association, Anchorage, AK.
- 2011 $199,999. NSF 10-544. National Science Foundation. “Incorporating Virtual Classroom-based Procedural Small Group Communication Problem Solving into an Undergraduate Mathematics Course.” With Lance Drager, Bolanle Olaniran, Patrick Hughes, & Jeffrey Lee.
Recent Unfunded Grants
- 2011 $395,362. National Science Foundation. “Developing Mentoring and Investigating Social Dynamics in a Virtual Organization.” With Bolanle Olaniran--co-Principal Investigator.
- 2010 $200,000. NSF 10-544. National Science Foundation. “Incorporating Virtual Classroom-Based Procedural Small Group Communication Problem Solving into Undergraduate Mathematics Courses” With Lance Drager, Jerry Dwyer, Patrick Hughes, & Jeffrey Lee--Principal Investigator
Find Us on the Campus Map
Where to Park
Parking on campus is restricted, especially during the regular academic year. If you will be driving to campus, please contact Parking Services about obtaining a visitor's parking pass.
Join a Tour
If you are visiting Communication Studies and would also like to tour the Texas Tech campus, please contact the Visitors Center for available dates and times.