The Smart Start to a Bright Future
ADVISING IS THE ONGOING PROCESS in which you, in consultation with the Communication Studies academic advisor, map out the best-fit educational path toward your graduation.
THIS PROCESS GIVES YOU THE SUPPORT to explore opportunities and to develop action plans that match your individual needs and abilities.
THE ADVISOR ACTS AS YOUR ADVOCATE in the university system, serves as your resource broker within the university community, and works to help you thrive in a large university setting.
EACH SEMESTER, YOUR ACADEMIC PROGRESS is monitored by the academic advisor, who provides information to help you make productive choices.
Your Advising Process
AS A COMMUNICATION STUDIES (COMS) major, you'll meet your advisor:
- During the month of October in preparation for early registration for the spring semester (usually in November).
- During the month of March in preparation for early registration for the summer and fall semesters (usually in April).
- And as needed, whenever you have question about policies, procedures, standards and requirements, or foresee changes in your educational goals.
Contact Our Undergraduate Academic Advisor
- Judy Poffenbarger
- Office Hours: 8:15 a.m.-5 p.m., including the noon hour, Monday-Friday
- Media & Communication Building, 10th Floor
Find Us on the Campus Map
Where to Park
Parking on campus is restricted, especially during the regular academic year. If you will be driving to campus, please contact Parking Services about obtaining a visitor's parking pass.
Join a Tour
If you are visiting Communication Studies and would also like to tour the Texas Tech campus, please contact the Visitors Center for available dates and times.