Department of Geosciences
Department News and Announcements
- We are sad to report that Dr. Otis W. Templer Jr passed away on May 8, 2018. Dr. Templer was among the founders of the Department of Geography and served on the faculty at Texas Tech for more than 45 years. If you would like to remember Dr. Templer and acknowledge his many contributions to the department and the university, his family suggests memorial contributions to the Otis and Josephine Templer Geography Scholarship Endowment.
- Thanks to all of you for another great Research Day in our department!
- Dr. Zhe Zhu received a grant from Monsanto: "Quantifying Cotton Water Stress Using Unmanned Aerials Systems and Satellite Remote Sensing", Co-I: Z. Zhu, $130,000, 2018-2019
- Dr. George B. Asquith was honored with the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Geoscience Department. The award was in recognition of his distinguished lifetime achievement.
- Dr. Steven Henderson, a faculty member in TTU Petroleum Engineer will be presented with a "Professing Excellence" teaching award on April 3rd. Dr. Henderson received both his MS (1992: Prof. Jacka) and Ph.D. (1995: Prof. Asquith) in Geoscience Department.
- Dr. Patricia Soils is hosting the "Digital Technologies for a Better World Symposium" on Wednesday, April 18th.
- Dr. Christopher Weiss invited to be an Editor for Monthly Weather Review.
- Alton Wade and Pappy Yeats's adventures in the Antarctic.
- Chris Weiss is promoted to Full professor, which takes effect on September 1st, 2018.
- Dr. Zhe Zhu received a grant from USGS: "Toward Near Real-time Monitoring and Characterization of Land Surface Change for the Conterminous US", PI: Z. Zhu, USGS-NASA Landsat Science Team Program, $1,062,069, 2018-2023.
- Dr. Zhe Zhu selected as the member of USGS-NASA Landsat Science Team (2018-2023).
- Dr. Will Asquith is recognized by the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia for his contributions to the International Symposium on Water Resources Mangement.
- Zhu, Z., S. Qiu, B. He, C. Deng, 2018, Cloud and cloud shadow detection for Landsat images: the fundamental basis for analyzing Landsat time series, In Weng, Q. (Ed.): Remote Sensing Time Series Image Processing (1st ed., pp. 3-24), Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Nagihara, S., Kiefer, W. S., Taylor, P. T., Williams, D. R., & Nakamura, Y., 2018, Examination of the long‐term subsurface warming observed at the Apollo 15 and 17 sites utilizing the newly restored heat flow experiment data from 1975 to 1977. Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets, 123.
- Griffin, C. B., C. C. Weiss, A. E. Reinhart, J. C. Snyder, H. B. Bluestein, J. Wurman and K. A. Kosiba, 2018, In situ and radar observations of the low reflectivity ribbon. Mon. Wea. Rev., 146, 307-327.
- Šegvić, B., S. Girardclos, G. Zanoni, C. Arbiol González, T. Steimer-Herbet, M. Besse, 2018, Origin and Paleoenvironmental Significance of Fe-Mn Nodules in the Holocene Perialpine Sediments of Geneva Basin, Western Switzerland. Applied Clay Sciences.
- A. Ainiwaer and H. Gurrola, 2018, Wavefield iterative deconvolution to remove multiples and produce phase specific Ps receiver functions, Geophysical Journal International.
- Solis, Patricia, N.T. Hunyh, D. Carpenter, M. Adames de Newbill, L. Ojeda, 2017, Using an Authentic Project Based Learning Framework to Support Integrated Geography Education Linked to Standards and Geospatial Competencies, Research in Geography Education.
- Cuadrosa, J., B. Šegvić, V. Dekovd, J.R. Michalski, D. B. Bardají, 2018, Electron microscopy investigation of the genetic link between Fe oxides/oxyhydroxides and nontronite in submarine hydrothermal fields. Marine Geology.
- Leverington, D.W., 2018, Is Kasei Valles (Mars) the largest volcanic channel in the solar system? Icarus.
- Healey, S.P., W.B Cohen, Z. Yang, C.K. Brewer, E.B. Brooks, N. Gorelick, A. Hernandez, C. Huang, M.J. Hughes, R.E. Kennedy, T.R. Loveland, G.G. Moisen, T.A. Schroeder, S.V. Stehman, J.E. Vogelmann, C.E. Woodcock, L. Yang, & Z. Zhu, 2018, Mapping forest change using stacked generalization: an ensemble approach, Remote Sensing of Environment, 204, 717-728.
- Li, J., T. Kandakji, J.A. Lee, J. Tatarko, J. Blackwell III, T.E. Gill, J.D. Collins, 2018, Blowing dust and highway safety in the southwestern United States: Characteristics of dust emission "hotspots" and management implications. Science of the Total Environment.