Department of Geosciences
Department News and Announcements
- The student chapter of the AAPG and the Geosciences Society (GSS) are cohosting a tailgate this Saturday, November 3, for the TTU vs OU game. The tailgate starts at 4 pm with kickoff set for 7 pm. Please join us at the corner of Ave X and Main for a fun afternoon. Wreck'em Tech!
- The department welcomes Dr. Sandip Pal. His research interests lie in the development and application of advanced ground-based and airborne lidar systems for defining atmospheric state variables, tracers, aerosol properties, and boundary layer dynamics and turbulence features. Sandip was an Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Meteorology & Atmospheric Science at Penn State before joining TTU.
- The department welcomes Dr. Neo McAdams. Her research focuses on understanding the geochronology of the Silurian system across the United States. Within her research she uses integrated high-resolution biochemistratigraphy for assessing these dynamics. Before joining TTU, Neo obtained her PhD from the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Iowa.
- The department welcomes Dr. Kevin Mulligan as the new Chair of Geosciences. Dr. Mulligan has a research background in geomorphology and geographic information systems. He has taught geography and GIS courses at Texas Tech for nearly 20 years. The department would also like to thank Dr. Jeff Lee for his service as Chair over the past five years.
- Dr. Christopher Weiss received a $324,000 NSF grant to support a research project titled, "Collaborative Research: Target Observation by Radars and UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) of Supercells (TORUS)."
- We are sad to report that Dr. Otis W. Templer Jr passed away on May 8, 2018. Dr. Templer was among the founders of the Department of Geography and served on the faculty at Texas Tech for more than 45 years. If you would like to remember Dr. Templer and acknowledge his many contributions to the department and the university, his family suggests memorial contributions to the Otis and Josephine Templer Geography Scholarship Endowment.
- Zhu, Z., S. Qiu, B. He, C. Deng, 2018, Cloud and cloud shadow detection for Landsat images: the fundamental basis for analyzing Landsat time series, In Weng, Q. (Ed.): Remote Sensing Time Series Image Processing (1st ed., pp. 3-24), Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Nagihara, S., Kiefer, W. S., Taylor, P. T., Williams, D. R., & Nakamura, Y., 2018, Examination of the long‐term subsurface warming observed at the Apollo 15 and 17 sites utilizing the newly restored heat flow experiment data from 1975 to 1977. Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets, 123.
- Griffin, C. B., C. C. Weiss, A. E. Reinhart, J. C. Snyder, H. B. Bluestein, J. Wurman and K. A. Kosiba, 2018, In situ and radar observations of the low reflectivity ribbon. Mon. Wea. Rev., 146, 307-327.
- Šegvić, B., S. Girardclos, G. Zanoni, C. Arbiol González, T. Steimer-Herbet, M. Besse, 2018, Origin and Paleoenvironmental Significance of Fe-Mn Nodules in the Holocene Perialpine Sediments of Geneva Basin, Western Switzerland. Applied Clay Sciences.
- A. Ainiwaer and H. Gurrola, 2018, Wavefield iterative deconvolution to remove multiples and produce phase specific Ps receiver functions, Geophysical Journal International.
- Solis, Patricia, N.T. Hunyh, D. Carpenter, M. Adames de Newbill, L. Ojeda, 2017, Using an Authentic Project Based Learning Framework to Support Integrated Geography Education Linked to Standards and Geospatial Competencies, Research in Geography Education.
- Cuadrosa, J., B. Šegvić, V. Dekovd, J.R. Michalski, D. B. Bardají, 2018, Electron microscopy investigation of the genetic link between Fe oxides/oxyhydroxides and nontronite in submarine hydrothermal fields. Marine Geology.
- Leverington, D.W., 2018, Is Kasei Valles (Mars) the largest volcanic channel in the solar system? Icarus.
- Healey, S.P., W.B Cohen, Z. Yang, C.K. Brewer, E.B. Brooks, N. Gorelick, A. Hernandez, C. Huang, M.J. Hughes, R.E. Kennedy, T.R. Loveland, G.G. Moisen, T.A. Schroeder, S.V. Stehman, J.E. Vogelmann, C.E. Woodcock, L. Yang, & Z. Zhu, 2018, Mapping forest change using stacked generalization: an ensemble approach, Remote Sensing of Environment, 204, 717-728.
- Li, J., T. Kandakji, J.A. Lee, J. Tatarko, J. Blackwell III, T.E. Gill, J.D. Collins, 2018, Blowing dust and highway safety in the southwestern United States: Characteristics of dust emission "hotspots" and management implications. Science of the Total Environment.