Department of Geosciences
Department News and Announcements
- We are proud to announce that Justin Weaver, instructor for Atmospheric Sciences, will be awarded the 2019 Professing Excellence Award! Each year, Texas Tech students are given the opportunity to nominate faculty members and present awards to those who have demonstrated exceptional educational skills. Congratulations to Justin for winning this award and representing the Department of Geosciences!
- Geology summer field camp will be here soon. Please consider giving to the Field Camp Scholarship to help defray expenses for our students attending field camp.
- Dr. Sandip Pal named Associate Editor for Atmospheric Sciences Letters (Royal Meteorological Society).
- We are very pleased to report that Dr. John Schroeder has been named as the Senior Director of the National Wind Institute. In addition, John will serve as the Technical Director for Prediction and Measurement, one of the three areas of NWI research excellence.
- The NASA InSight Mission probe successfully landed on the surface of Mars on November 26. Dr. Seiichi Nagihara is working on the mission to learn how the thermal conductivity of the Mars regolith is affected by seasonal changes in surface atmospheric pressure and temperature.
- Dr. Eric Bruning will receive the 2018 Atmospheric and Space Electricity Early Career Award at AGU's Fall Meeting 2018. The award recognizes "outstanding early career contributions to atmospheric and space electricity." Dr. Bruning's research has combined his observational studies with innovative theoretical methods to provide new insights into the processes by which storms produce lightning. Congratulations Eric!
- Dr. Seiichi Nagihara was recently selected by NASA to join the Mars InSight Mission. This team will study data never before collected. "There have been many missions to Mars, but this one is different from the rover missions," says Nagihara. "This mission will probe beneath the planet's surface for the first time."
- Pal, S., and T.R. Lee, 2019, Contrasting air mass advection explains significant differences in boundary layer depth seasonal cycles under onshore versus offshore flows. Geophysical Research Letters
- Leverington, D.W., 2019, Constraints on the nature of the effusive volcanic eruptions that incised Ravi Vallis, Mars. Planetary and Space Science,doi:10.1016/j.pss.2019.01.002.
- Leverington, D.W., M. Schindler, 2018, Delineating areas of past environmental degradation near smelters using rock coatings: A case study at Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec. Scientific Reports, 8: 17364.
- Chatterjee, S., 2018 The Hydrothermal Impact Crater Lakes: The Crucibles of Life's Origin. Handbook of Astrobiology, 265-295.
- Zhu, Z., S. Qiu, B. He, C. Deng, 2018, Cloud and cloud shadow detection for Landsat images: the fundamental basis for analyzing Landsat time series, In Weng, Q. (Ed.): Remote Sensing Time Series Image Processing (1st ed., pp. 3-24), Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Nagihara, S., Kiefer, W. S., Taylor, P. T., Williams, D. R., & Nakamura, Y., 2018, Examination of the long‐term subsurface warming observed at the Apollo 15 and 17 sites utilizing the newly restored heat flow experiment data from 1975 to 1977. Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets, 123.
- Griffin, C. B., C. C. Weiss, A. E. Reinhart, J. C. Snyder, H. B. Bluestein, J. Wurman and K. A. Kosiba, 2018, In situ and radar observations of the low reflectivity ribbon. Mon. Wea. Rev., 146, 307-327.
- Šegvić, B., S. Girardclos, G. Zanoni, C. Arbiol González, T. Steimer-Herbet, M. Besse, 2018, Origin and Paleoenvironmental Significance of Fe-Mn Nodules in the Holocene Perialpine Sediments of Geneva Basin, Western Switzerland. Applied Clay Sciences.
- A. Ainiwaer and H. Gurrola, 2018, Wavefield iterative deconvolution to remove multiples and produce phase specific Ps receiver functions, Geophysical Journal International.
- Solis, Patricia, N.T. Hunyh, D. Carpenter, M. Adames de Newbill, L. Ojeda, 2017, Using an Authentic Project Based Learning Framework to Support Integrated Geography Education Linked to Standards and Geospatial Competencies, Research in Geography Education.
- Cuadros, J., B. Šegvić, V. Dekovd, J.R. Michalski, D. B. Bardají, 2018, Electron microscopy investigation of the genetic link between Fe oxides/oxyhydroxides and nontronite in submarine hydrothermal fields. Marine Geology.
- Leverington, D.W., 2018, Is Kasei Valles (Mars) the largest volcanic channel in the solar system? Icarus.
- Healey, S.P., W.B Cohen, Z. Yang, C.K. Brewer, E.B. Brooks, N. Gorelick, A. Hernandez, C. Huang, M.J. Hughes, R.E. Kennedy, T.R. Loveland, G.G. Moisen, T.A. Schroeder, S.V. Stehman, J.E. Vogelmann, C.E. Woodcock, L. Yang, & Z. Zhu, 2018, Mapping forest change using stacked generalization: an ensemble approach, Remote Sensing of Environment, 204, 717-728.
- Li, J., T. Kandakji, J.A. Lee, J. Tatarko, J. Blackwell III, T.E. Gill, J.D. Collins, 2018, Blowing dust and highway safety in the southwestern United States: Characteristics of dust emission "hotspots" and management implications. Science of the Total Environment.
Department of Geosciences
AddressTexas Tech University, 2500 Broadway, Lubbock, TX 79409