Department of Geosciences
Department News and Announcements
- Welcome from the Department Chair.
- We are hiring! New faculty postition in Atmospheric Sciences Program, Department of Geosciencs
- We are hiring! New faculty postition in Geography and the Environment Program, Department of Geosciencs
- Department Allocation Committee Funded Projects
- After interviewing several candidates, Dr. Michael San Francisco has selected Dr. Callum Hetherington to serve as Interim Department Chair effective September 1, 2021. Dr. Hetherington has broad service experience in the department, college and university making for a strong background to manage the department.
- Congratulations to Dr. George Asquith, Dr. Cal Barnes, Dr. Tom Lehman and Dr. Kevin Mulligan on their recent retirements. These faculty gave a combined 113 year of service to the university. Some plan to continue to pursue academic endeavors and others to enjoy retirement and travel. These faculty members have influenced an entire generation of students and will leave big shoes to fill. We wish each one a very happy retirement!
- Congratulations to Dr. Tarek Kandakji (TTU Ph.D. 2020) who has accepted a position as a Remote Sensing Specialist at Yale Univeristy.
- Geology faculty Dr. Aaron Yoshinobu and Dr. Cal Barnes received funding from NSF ($368,003) in collaboration with Dr. Kathleen Surpless ($160,000) (Trinity University, San Antonio) titled: Testing models for the Late Jurassic Nevadan Orogeny: Age, provenance, and structural evolution of the Galice and Mariposa basins, Oregon and California. This collaborative project will involve TTU graduate and undergraduate students along with undergraduate students from Trinity University
- Geography faculty Jen Henderson recently received a grant from the 2021 NOAA-WPO-SBES ($422,603) to continue research with her co-PI Erik Nielsen (TAMU) on public vulnerability to overlapping weather hazards during landfalling tropical cyclones. She also received a stipend from the Natural Hazards Center at the University of Colorado, Boulder, to publish previously collected Twitter data from a NOAA Vortex Southeast grant on overlapping hazards during Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Florence.
- Atmospheric science faculty Dr. Sandip Pal recently received two grants: One within the 2021-NOAA-OAR program ($335,981) and another within the 2021-NASA-SBIR Phase I program ($17,096). Pal will be also working for the development of Phase II project within the NASA SBIR/STTR program in 2021.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jen Henderson who has been recently named Chair of the Board on Societal Impacts for the American Meteorological Society as well as Associate Editor for the journal Weather, Climate and Society
- Dr. Sandip Pal named Associate Editor for Frontiers in Remote Sensing (Lidar Sensing)
- Dr. Sandip Pal has been awarded the 2020 International Research and Development Seed Grant awarded by the TTU Office of International Affairs; please see attached the PDF. Project: Exploring the complexities in atmospheric boundary layer dynamics over mountainous regions using lidar and in-situ observations.
- We are proud to announce that Dr. Harold Gurrola, Associate Professor Geosciences, will be awarded the 2020 Professing Excellence Award! Each year, Texas Tech students are given the opportunity to nominate faculty members and present awards to those who have demonstrated exceptional educational skills. Congratulations to Dr. Gurrola for winning this award and representing the Department of Geosciences!