Department of Geosciences
Department News and Announcements
- Dr. George B. Asquith was honored with the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Geoscience Department. The award was in recognition of his distinguished lifetime achievement.
- Dr. Steven Henderson, a faculty member in TTU Petroleum Engineer will be presented with a "Professing Excellence" teaching award on April 3rd. Dr. Henderson received both his MS (1992: Prof. Jacka) and Ph.D. (1995: Prof. Asquith) in Geoscience Department.
- Dr. Patricia Soils is hosting the "Digital Technologies for a Better World Symposium" on Wednesday, April 18th.
- Dr. Christopher Weiss invited to be an Editor for Monthly Weather Review.
- Alton Wade and Pappy Yeats's adventures in the Antarctic.
- Chris Weiss is promoted to Full professor, which takes effect on September 1st, 2018.
- Dr. Zhe Zhu received a grant from USGS: "Toward Near Real-time Monitoring and Characterization of Land Surface Change for the Conterminous US", PI: Z. Zhu, USGS-NASA Landsat Science Team Program, $1,062,069, 2018-2023.
- Dr. Zhe Zhu selected as the member of USGS-NASA Landsat Science Team (2018-2023).
- Dr. Will Asquith is recognized by the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia for his contributions to the International Symposium on Water Resources Mangement.
- Dr. Zhe Zhu invited to be an Associate Editor for the Arabian Journal of Geosciences and Remote Sensing of Environment.
- Griffin, C. B., C. C. Weiss, A. E. Reinhart, J. C. Snyder, H. B. Bluestein, J. Wurman and K. A. Kosiba, 2018: In situ and radar observations of the low reflectivity ribbon. Mon. Wea. Rev., 146, 307-327.
- Šegvić, B., S. Girardclos, G. Zanoni, C. Arbiol González, T. Steimer-Herbet, M. Besse, 2018, Origin and Paleoenvironmental Significance of Fe-Mn Nodules in the Holocene Perialpine Sediments of Geneva Basin, Western Switzerland. Applied Clay Sciences.
- A. Ainiwaer and H. Gurrola, 2018, Wavefield iterative deconvolution to remove multiples and produce phase specific Ps receiver functions, Geophysical Journal International.
- Solis, Patricia, N.T. Hunyh, D. Carpenter, M. Adames de Newbill, L. Ojeda, 2017, Using an Authentic Project Based Learning Framework to Support Integrated Geography Education Linked to Standards and Geospatial Competencies, Research in Geography Education.
- Cuadrosa, J., B. Šegvić, V. Dekovd, J.R. Michalski, D. B. Bardají, 2018, Electron microscopy investigation of the genetic link between Fe oxides/oxyhydroxides and nontronite in submarine hydrothermal fields. Marine Geology.
- Leverington, D.W., 2018, Is Kasei Valles (Mars) the largest volcanic channel in the solar system? Icarus.
- Healey, S.P., W.B Cohen, Z. Yang, C.K. Brewer, E.B. Brooks, N. Gorelick, A. Hernandez, C. Huang, M.J. Hughes, R.E. Kennedy, T.R. Loveland, G.G. Moisen, T.A. Schroeder, S.V. Stehman, J.E. Vogelmann, C.E. Woodcock, L. Yang, & Z. Zhu, 2018, Mapping forest change using stacked generalization: an ensemble approach, Remote Sensing of Environment, 204, 717-728.
- Li, J., T. Kandakji, J.A. Lee, J. Tatarko, J. Blackwell III, T.E. Gill, J.D. Collins, 2018, Blowing dust and highway safety in the southwestern United States: Characteristics of dust emission "hotspots" and management implications. Science of the Total Environment.