Acceptable Proof of English Proficiency for Texas Tech University
Proof of English Proficiency is mandatory for ALL International Undergraduate students.
Students must submit proof of English Proficiency through one of the following ways:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language; TOEFL)
- The minimum TOEFL score required to show proof of English Proficiency is 550 (paper-based version) or 79 (internet-based version). TOEFL score must be received directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS); Texas Tech University's institutional code for International Undergraduate Admissions is B100. TOEFL scores are valid for only two years.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service; IELTS)
- The minimum IELTS required score is an overall band score of 6.5 on the Academic version; IELTS General Training results are not acceptable. There is no IELTS institution code for Texas Tech University. IELTS scores are valid for only two years.
- SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test; SAT)
- The minimum Evidence-based Reading and Writing score required to show proof of English Proficiency is 500. SAT Scores must be received directly from the College Board. Texas Tech University's Institutional code for International Undergraduate students is 6859.
- ACT (American College Testing Program; ACT)
- The minimum English score required to show proof of English Proficiency is 21. ACT Score must be received directly from the ACT organization. Texas Tech University's Institutional code is 4220.
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic; PTE Academic)
- The minimum required PTE Academic score is 60. PTE General and PTE Young Learners results are not acceptable. There is no PTE Academic institution code for Texas Tech University. PTE Academic scores are valid for only two years.
- Cambridge CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English; CPE)
- The minimum required Cambridge CPE grade is C. There is no institutional code for the Cambridge CPE. The Cambridge CPE is valid for life.
- Cambridge CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English ; CAE)
- The minimum required Cambridge CAE grade is B. There is no institutional code for the Cambridge CAE. The Cambridge CAE is valid for life.
High School or College Coursework:
- Attend 2 consecutive years of High School within an exempt country. See a list of exempt countries below.
- Achieve a grade C or better in English on the IB Diploma.
- Achieve a grade C or better on English on the A-Level GCE. This cannot be English as a second language, English literature, etc.
- Complete 30 credit hours at a College of University with a GPA of at least 2.25 within an exempt country. Remedial or ESL courses do not count towards the total credit hours. See a list of exempt countries below.
- Take 2 English Courses with a grade of C or better at a College or University within an exempt country. This can include a literature, composition, speech, or English class. These cannot be remedial or ESL courses. See a list of exempt countries below.
Applicants from the following list of countries are exempt from the English Proficiency requirement:
- Canada (except the Province of Quebec)
- Republic of Ireland
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales)
- United States
- Commonwealth Caribbean Countries:
- Antigua Guyana
- The Bahamas
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- British Virgin Islands
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent
- Cayman Islands
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands