Reasons to Study Abroad
Studying abroad at Texas Tech is a unique way to grow your résumé, gain international experience, and develop your professional skills and global awareness. The Study Abroad Office at Texas Tech strives to make every study abroad experience positively impactful and is committed to providing individualized, student-centered support before, during, and after the experience.
But what are the benefits of study abroad? Why should students incorporate study abroad into their college career?
- Earn credits abroad
- Improve language skills
- Deepen academic commitment
- Students with low SAT scores who study abroad finish college with higher GPAs than their peers who do not study abroad.
- First-year students with lower GPAs who later study abroad are more likely to graduate in 4-5 years than their peers who do not study abroad.
- Build résumé
- Demonstrate adaptability
- Enhance critical thinking skills
- Increase problem-solving capabilities
- Higher starting salaries
- Grow self-awareness
- Communicate proficiently and comfortably in a global setting
- Discover and appreciate other cultures
- Respect new perspectives and ways of life
How Can Study Abroad Change Your Life?
At the Study Abroad Office, we prefer to say that there is no guarantee study abroad will change your life. Instead, we say the possibilities are in your hands. Students may choose to have a "very expensive vacation," or they can choose to utilize every aspect of their experience to grow personally, professionally, and academically, while becoming global citizens and proud representatives of Texas Tech. Only 1 in 10 U.S. undergraduates study abroad and Texas Tech is committed to assisting all eligible Red Raiders maximize the impact of their international endeavors.
From here, it's possible.