Incoming Exchange Students are required to be enrolled in insurance during their time at Texas Tech. If you would like to bring insurance from your home country, you will need to send the policy of your insurance to the Texas Tech IESC. This policy must meet the U.S. State Department’s standards. Please note, if it does not meet the standards, you will be charged for Texas Tech’s insurance. The coverage that must be met is below:
- Coverage of Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
- Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000.
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation to your home country in the amount of $50,000.
- Deductibles cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness.
If you would like to be enrolled in Texas Tech’s insurance, you will need to alert the IESC so that your information can be sent to the insurance company. When you arrive, you will be given your insurance card. This card must be kept on you at all times during your stay.
If you fail to provide insurance information by the deadlines below, you will be automatically enrolled in Texas Tech’s insurance. The reasoning behind this is due to the processing time for your DS-2019. We must have the insurance information before the DS-2019 can be complete.
- Fall and/or Academic Year (fall-spring): May 15th
- Spring and/or Calendar Year (spring-fall): October 31st